Getting A Good First Rig

Longwaytilldo

Hey guys,

I've really enjoyed the knowlege everyone shares here. Well i'm getting started in this sport and I'm looking for a good first rig. This is what i have so far.

Rifle: Remington 700 VS Price: $550
Scope: Bushnell elite 3200 32-1040M Price: $200
Bipod: HBBR-S Price: $120

I'm looking to work my way up to the 1000yrd mark but I'm patient about how long that takes. Anyways, thats what i have so far as what I'm going to go for, but i'd like some thoughts on these choices while i save the $1000. I'm thinking most likely getting it in .308 I already have a Savage 110 in .270 as my bambi stick, but this rig i'm hoping will handle bigger game as well. I'm thinking about using it for game about elk size. I'm not experienced in larger game (just white tail so far) so consider me a novice. But feel free to go as technical as you wish and i'll just Google what i don't understand. Thanks a bunch!

First off , let me declair my loyalty for the 308 Winchester , I've shot this round for over 18 yrs and have killed tons of critters from gophers to a 588lb wild hog including my longest kill on a big game animal which is 618yds on a small deer. I've never lost an animal that I shot , BUT , I have passed on a few that would have been taken had I had a little more gun.

You base gun is a good start , it has a good stock and good action , but you diden't mention the caliber , if its a smaller cal then have the gun rebarrled. Having the action trued will run from $150-$250and the barrel installed will run about the same , the cost of the barrel will run you around $300. So lets say mid range @00 for the barrel and action work = $400 and the barrel cost = $300 so you still under $1000.

I will mention one way to do it cheaper , Get a used factory heavy barrel in 308 win and have it set back a little then rechambered to 300WSM then have your action worked and set up for the WSM case. Factory barrels rae capible of some pretty good accuracy with a well cut chamber and crown. This setupwith this caliber will get you to 1000yds for targets and 800ish for deer and I would say 600 for elk.

You wont ever have to worry about rust with stainless steel.
Id go with a rem 700 Sendero or a savage heavy barrel. Your 270 should make it to 1000 yards. So whats your longest shot so far? Since you arleady have a large centerfire rifle, I alway recomend that you shoot your rifle more at loger ranges before buying a new rifle. I am going to have a new savag takeoff SS fluted 308 for sale in a few days

I like the idea of just getting a new heavy barrel. I've looked around but i can't seem to find where to get one. My model is the standard 110 model savage. Do you know if I need other modifications besides just buying the barrel? Does the barrel determine what caliber the gun shoots and if so, could i just upgrade to a .308 barrel with my standard stock. The stock is walnut or some other wood i have no idea. Also, i like the idea of putting on a muzzle brake to pull down the recoil. How would i go about doing that? I appreciate any help you can offer! Oh yea, longest shot thus far was 350 yrds on a button buck a few years back.

Sharp shooters supply should be able to help you out with a new barrel, in a varmint contour, Google will bring them right up. The barrel does determine what cartridge is shot, within the confines of the action/boltface. You have a long action with a .308 boltface, so you could swap to a .308 barrel, although the action would be a bit long, it would still work. Sharp shooters should also be able to install a mussle brake, if memory serves me.

If you get a Savage, the first thing you should do is replace the stock. They tend to be very accurate OTB, but inconsistant with the factory stock.

You should not have any magazine problems with your swap. Your rilfe should be small shank, so any small shank will fit. In a 308 heave barrel I would not use a break, just a decent recoil pad. If you use a break you MUST wear hearing protection while hunting. You will need to open up the barrel channel of your stock to get the barrel to fit or buy a used or aftermarket stock(factory take off $40 or so, Boyds blem stock about $60 but pretty heavy). I think SSS is about $300 for the barrel, 125 for fluting and about 150 for a brake. If you email me I will sen you a pic and price when I get the barrel. [email protected]

Take-off Barrels can be had from private parties mostly.
New barrels from Sharp shooters supply, douglas, pacnor, lothar walther, as well as many more if ordered. They usually start at about 300. Most heavy barrel rifles are about 650+ I usually check prices with www.budsgunshop.com to get ideas about cost.

My opinion is that the Savage will better meet your needs out of the box. I also thing a slightly better scope is in order. Last, bag the bipod.

Savage 12BVSS 308Win or 300 WSM $600
Super Sniper 10x42 RRPA $300
TPS Rings and Bases $140

Sorry, I'm $40 over. You will needs some good sand bags or another type rest to complete this rig. I like the Caldwell bag sets, but don't own one.

The Savage will shoot rings around most stock 700's. It is in the design. Button rifled barrel, pivot head bolt, Pillar Bedding(Still needs bedded), heavy laminate stock, and long heavy barrel. Also, the accutrigger is good. At 1.5lbs, it is about right for this type of rifle.

The Super Sniper will have more adjustment and has a great reputation for repeatability. It also has the needed adjustment range. Not all scopes can get on at 100 yards and 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.