First rifle build ?'s- midweight LR 6.5 CM

evans1010

Knowing that a 6.5 CM will be my next rifle I have looked and looked for a factory gun that checks all my boxes and I am coming up empty. Admittedly this is because I am looking for a gun that can check more of those boxes than is likely fair. I am wanting a not too heavy rifle that I an take to a long range shooting class as well as work for a spot and stalk mule deer rifle (ranges here would be inside of 400 until comfort level increases) with some coyote hunting thrown in. I know that it may not be perfect for all of these but hopefully I can put something together that is respectable for each.

As it stands now my parts list looks like:
-Rem. 700 SS SA
-B&C #7595 Long Range Tactical- was going to go Mcmillan or Manners but a new baby on the way has me cutting corners where I can. Not to mention this looks like a very trim stock that maintains prone comfort and offhand shootability.
-6.5 1-8" fluted SS barrel from Mark Chanlynn. Contour is up in the air but to keep weight under control and reduce barrel channel inletting issues I am thinking a short shank light palma (match shank length of Rem. varmint contour) cut 24-26".
-Unsure on bottom metal now thinking a PT&G drop AI unit
- Scope is up in the air as well but would like something fairly low profile that doesn't scream tactical. Likely either the Burris Veracity or XTR II if I choose FFP or Leupold 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 LR with M1 turret and TS-32X1 reticle.

Gun will go to Rocky Mountain Rifle works for barrel and bedding. I am trying to keep this project between $1500-$2000 without scope. Weight target would be 8-9lbs without scope but really not sure on barrel contour to get there so please let me know what you think, I'm looking for advice here.

Thanks,
Nick

I would check out Tikka Super varmint 6.5x55. Supirior to the 6.5creed

24"barrel varmint
About 8 punds
5round mag

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a weak spot for Tikka's, my so far longest shot came last year with a T3 Superlite 7mm Mag. While I love the Tikka I am pretty set on a build at this point, once the thought entered my head I have not beeen able to get it out...

I also have a set of 6.5 CM dies and a lot of brass so I think I am going to stay on that path.

Thanks,
Nick

-6.5 1-8" fluted SS barrel from Mark Chanlynn. Contour is up in the air but to keep weight under control and reduce barrel channel inletting issues I am thinking a short shank light palma (match shank length of Rem. varmint contour) cut 24-26".
-Unsure on bottom metal now thinking a PT&G drop AI unit

Gun will go to Rocky Mountain Rifle works for barrel and bedding. I am trying to keep this project between $1500-$2000 without scope. Weight target would be 8-9lbs without scope but really not sure on barrel contour to get there so please let me know what you think, I'm looking for advice here.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick, wanted to see if you had this project finished up? Did you end up going with Rocky Mtn Rifle Works? I'm am talking to him about a 6.5x55 on a Savage action so I'm curious of your thoughts.

Can you use a Rem 700 SA for a 6.5cm?

Sure, why not? That's what it was designed for is the Short Action rifles and ARs. All of the factory ammunition is loaded to 2.800" which will fit in every SA magazine I've seen. You can extend that length when you opt for a Wyatt magazine or one of the .308 mags without the spacer bar.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts