First Impressions: Eberlestock Gunslinger

Jeza,

Probably suited for short asses like me 5'7". Then again it is made in a place full of small people - Vietnam.

David.

Jeza,

Yup, at 6'2" I'm 100% it'd be too small (if you want to be able to use the belt to bear weight).

...right now, I seem to have succeeded (through judicious use of webbing straps and additional velcro) in making it wearable at 6' ....not something that should be necessary with a commercial rucksac /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

David,

I suspect your point may well be valid: [ QUOTE ]
Then again it is made in a place full of small people - Vietnam.

[/ QUOTE ] .....probably seems like a big rucksac there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BD, I spent some frustrated days trying to get my Eberlestock pack to work for me. It just didnt. I'm 6"2 205lbs and I guess like shoes some just dont fit. Also tried the 104 and 105 to no avail.

Then I found this and have not looked back.

http://www.blacks-creek.com/jimhorn.php I have the Alaskan
The Canadian looks very promising as well.
Better made than the Eberle, it fits and it hauls.

Very satisfied.

Final Impressions: Eberlestock Gunslinger

Su37 and Aficionado,

Thanks for the ideas....I think this picture (taken earlier in the week) sums up my findings on the Eberlestock:
P1010internet.jpg

....rifle on a biathlon sling with a light Filson pack (which I have courtesy of the very kind generosity of a LRH member /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) draped over it.

The Eberlestock Gunslinger is, despite their big claims, a fancy range bag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Re: Final Impressions: Eberlestock Gunslinger

Hey Brown Dog, How Have you been?
I use the Eberlestock Backpacks, both the gunslinger and the Phantom. I am at 6' and had to adjust the pack to ride a bit lower, and then tighten up the top and side draw straps to get it to feel right. For a three day pack, I haven't found anything that I like better, and I do not say this because I sell them, I say this because for me, it is true.

Having been from a generation of the old USRA "Ruck," I still suffer from what that thing did to my upper back and neck. With 46" wide shoulders, and a PRC 70, I was cursed.
The Gunslinger is a dream compared to that thing...

why do people black their faces out?
people post their pics all the time online, so why is it some don't

just curious, don't mean to highjack or anything.

also, very good to know about the gunslinger pack, I was wondering about it.

I have had a gunslinger since it was introduced and really like mine. For my mode of operation it fills the bill just great.

Hi Ward,

All well here!
[ QUOTE ]
had to adjust the pack to ride a bit lower, and then tighten up the top and side draw straps to get it to feel right.

[/ QUOTE ]

....but presumably, even with that adjustment, the belt won't bear weight?

I guess Su37 maybe right [ QUOTE ]
like shoes some just dont fit.

[/ QUOTE ] but I'm average height and build ...and never (in a lifetime of rucksac use (must caveat that to exclude the 'large pack' and GS bergen I was issued (too many) years ago whilst at Sandhurst!) had a problem with a rucksac before.

All,

I'm not trying to launch a propaganda offensive against the pack; if you read my initial impressions, they leant towards 'favourable' (albeit, noting that it didn't appear to be of the soldier-proof build quality that Eberlestock's hype infers [over body armour the yoke discomfort would not be apparent, nor, over webbing, would the nugatory nature of the belt; but I cannot believe that the pack is robust enough to last a year or more's constant use.]), but I have to say, I'm extremely disappointed with the pack; for me it will be an expensive pack for range use only (an application at which, with its half million pockets, straps and zips it's very good!).

...those of you who are getting more than that; I wish I was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

My motivation? I've learnt masses from other people on this site; I hope I can help someone else by sharing (what I consider to be) my error.... caveat emptor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lovdasnow

[ QUOTE ]
why do people black their faces out?
people post their pics all the time online, so why is it some don't

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies; I'm world-wide web shy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

no need to apologize, just curious. wondering if you were some sort of top secret gov employee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for the answer

[ QUOTE ]
wondering of you were some top secret gov employee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.................no, but certainly a legend in my own mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BD, I have noticed that when carrying my weapon system in the gunslinger, (AI Chasis) that the bag appears to be designed to keep the weight off of the pressure points and distributed evenly throughout.

In my opinion, concerning LBE Gear, the webbing is designed to ride where the mass of the weight is. All pre-bladder canteens, mag pouches, possible pouches etc, were fitted for the belt. So, everything just kind of hangs there.

In comparison to the newer high tech vest, which I would wear under the gunslinger if need be, is more comfortable because the design also appears to focus on achieving the same goal. That is to distribute the weight as evenly as possible.

The Vest that I have hanging in my closet is setup to utilize fast tech buckles to snap on and off a bladder holder. That and my *** (arse) pack make for a very comfortable day pack. The unfortunate issue in this scenario is that my weapon system/scope would be exposed.

Just back from Scotland: update on Eberlestock Gunslinger

Just back from a quick trip back up to Scotland at hinds. Very wet trip, if it wasn't raining it was sleet/snowing!

Took the gunslinger...rather more pleased than I was (largely because I decided to 'bin' the removable belly/hip belt):

1. It fits within the new airline carry-on hand luggage size template....(a major hidden plus!)

2. With the rifle out, it was easy to drag by the top handle.

3. It held all my requirements for cold/wet day stalking.

4. It is an effective windbreak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:

P1010054internetgunslingersnow.jpg

Re: Just back from Scotland: update on Eberlestock Gunslinger

Hello Matt

What case have you got for your rifle when flying with it?

Cheers

Gerald

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts