First Elk!!!

Rifleman513

Well, after a lot of preparation and a few missed opportunities I got my first elk on the ground during the Colorado 2nd rifle season last Saturday. Another first was after spending hours on this site taking valuable information from members I was able to develop and take my first animal with my own hand loads as well! Below are a few pics of him taken at 430 yds with my 300 RUM shooting 200 gr AB's!

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 216
That's a GREAT bull! And 430 yards at a bull like that is NO chip shot, no matter what anyone says. I shoot a 300 RUM also and good to see a 200 AB performing like that.

What are the specs on you rifle? What scope I that?

Congrulions. Bet he's good eaten too.

Thanks! I was more than excited once I got my hands on him.

700 Sendero 300 RUM
200 AB 94gr retumbo at 3148fps

worked factory trigger
bolt knob and fluting done by Kampfeld Customs
brake from muzzlebrakesandmore.com
talley 1-piece mounts
Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44

That is a great bull. It sure feels great when it all finally comes together. Now you will have the fever...once you have him out that is!!!! Congrats

Thanks everyone!

Idaho, you did good the brake is a big improvement over the radial style brake it wore before!

Yeah, OTC tag, last year I missed out but they only spotted one cow in that same canyon. This year it was a whole other story come opening day. Hopefully everyone else had the same good fortune as we did this year. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.