First Elk down at 1168yard!!

TonyQ

So I am pretty new around here but I reading material here trying and to learn for the last year and been learning a ton so thanks everyone for posting great info and passing down the knowledge. The trip was me and my 9 year old son it was his first hunting trip for big game and my third year going out. I have had shots the last few years at 500yards plus but was not comfortable at making that shot at the time so this whole last summer i practice and practice at longer range until I out grew my scope and rangefinder . It was saswarovski Z3 4x12 with a BT turret and could only adjust out to 600. So I up graded to a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 and a G7 rangefinder which really made shooting long distance easier. OK back to the hunt there was about 10 min left of shooting time getting ready to pack everything up when the bull came out of the meadow. I could tell just by the size of the rack that he was a good bull and did not have to count points. I ranged him it told me 1200 or so it happened so fast I remember the exact number and come up 27MOA I told my son to put his ear plugs in and I put my in and sent the first bullet. The bull moved down the mountain about 20 yards or so I ranged him a again and it said 1168 scope correction of 26 MOA. After I shot the seconded time the bull took about 10 steps and fell over. I started jumping and gave my son a hug and told him that we got him. We packed up our stuff walked about a 1/4 mile back to the truck went back to cabin which is real close where we can start a hike to the elk so I can get some warm clothing and food for my son because i knew it was going to be a long night. We hiked in to where I thought the elk would be but there was a lot of thick timber and it got dark real fast. We were about 3/4 from where we start the hike and had been looking for about 2 hours to find the meadow with no luck. We had phone service so I call some ranchers the lived below and they said meet us back at the cabin and they will helps us take a look for him. We got back to the cabin and meet the they used there four wheelers to get as far as the could and me and my son walked behind them. We looked for another 2hours that night with no luck. We woke up around 7am the next mourning so we could have some light so I could so the ranchers the exact meadow that I was talking about and went from there. We looked for about two hours the next mourning and finally I dropped real low and I could spot the meadow way above. It took me about 40 min of hiking to get to from below but as soon as I got to the meadow I spotted him right away. We quartered the elk up and I started packing him out. After four trips I was able to get all the meat out that day. The next day all I had to do was go back for the head. Here are some pics Thanks AnthonyURL=http://s23.photobucket.com/user/TonyQA/media/IMG_0862_zpse2b9a549.jpg.html]
IMG_0862_zpse2b9a549.jpg
[/URL

Last edited:
That's great!

My son is 4 1/2 months old right now and I can hardly wait for him to tag along with my dad and myself.

That's great. I commend you on knowing your limitations last year and putting in the work to make shots like this with confidence this year. That's a great elk and something to be proud of. To have your son along as well is even more admirable. Congratulations.

The gun was a 300 weatherby mark v accumark with near 30 MOA base and nightforce rings. Bullet was Berger 215 hybrid at 2900fps. One shot hit him in the lungs and the other in the rear hind quarter completely destroying it. I felt bad because I could not save any meat from it.

Which shot was your first? The hind quarter or the lungs?

The gun was a 300 weatherby mark v accumark with near 30 MOA base and nightforce rings. Bullet was Berger 215 hybrid at 2900fps. One shot hit him in the lungs and the other in the rear hind quarter completely destroying it. I felt bad because I could not save any meat from it.

Here is the pick of the one I am going to have framed. It was the first shot that hit him in the hind quarter. He had made moved some after I shot. The second school he stood perfectly still broadside.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.