First Deer with a gun!

tysn

Well after getting skunked the last few years I set out to actually see a buck for a change. We started our hunt out this year seeing a few does but no bucks,
We went out in the morning and spotted a buck right off the bat, he looked pretty good, he was some 900 yards out but we had no real shooting position to take him from so we went out in pursuit well once we got to a suitable position, he played Houdini and vanished, we thought he just went over the ridge as we came through the fortress of scrub oak in the way.
Well as we walked away disappointed we drove to the other side of the ridge to see if we could get a view of him. We didn't see squat. so we were making our return trip about 1200 yards from where we parked to follow earlier that morning, we looked up at the top of that ridge he had David Copperfield ed us earlier on. We just saw does to start but after a few minutes of watching some familiar antlers poked over the ridge. My hunting buddy confirmed that was the one. I pulled out of the vehicle and chambered a round. Bertha angrily spoke to the deer and the first shot connected but it didn't seem like it did anything to him. So I chambered another round and fired again. By the time I recovered from the recoil he walked over the ridge. We waited a few minutes and decided to go in pursuit I went directly up the ridge from where I shot and my friend went around the back side of the ridge to check. Well as I arrived at the spot he was standing I didn't see any blood. looked around a little bit and didn't see anything, then as I looked a little harder down the other side of the ridge I saw some blood on the snow, then as my eyes followed the trail of blood some 6 ft. I saw part of an antler poking up. So I approached slowly with rifle ready in case he popped up again, well this is what I saw

Attachments

• IMG_20131022_115005.jpg
    IMG_20131022_115005.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20131022_115242.jpg
    IMG_20131022_115242.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 136
well the first deer period happened to be with my car some 10 years ago,

anyways the shot was around 600 maybe? ( don't own a range finder, yet)

Shot the deer with a 300 ICL loaded with h4831 and 165 grain barnes x

( pre TSX)

It was a little overcast but nice day maybe in the 50's we were up around 10k maybe a little less. either way just waiting for the meat to meet my tummy.

happy you got your buck but as the guy above said...how did you range him then? I think shooting over 300 yards with out a range finder is kind of irresponsible...hate to past judgement(lord knows I have done many stupid things hunting) but when you have bullets dropping feet...not inches, you really need to know the range of the animal being shot. Again, I really dont mean to sound like a hard ***, I have done a few questionable things hunting as well, but I try and learn from them as best as I can. Anyways, congrats though...that is a nice buck!

well I maybe 600 (guessed on the range), like I said I'm not certain on the distance but I have looked at possible ballistics charts i did aim some over the back of the deer so i know it was over 300 due to the rifle being zeroed at 200.

well I maybe 600 (guessed on the range), like I said I'm not certain on the distance but I have looked at possible ballistics charts i did aim some over the back of the deer so i know it was over 300 due to the rifle being zeroed at 200.

This is a bit bothersome. Please invest in a good range finder.

Very nice first deer.

about 600?? Really man? If we were in person this conversation would go a little different. That's some cowboy SH.... never mind.

Thanks for the congrats but, i don't see this conversation going any differently if we were in person. I've been shooting that rifle for many years at that range, i know about where the range was, I trust my abilities. just glad there wasn't much wind to deal with. if you ever make it out to Utah Id be glad to go out shooting with you professionals with the expensive glass and rangefinders, it would be fun to mutually learn from one another.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.