First Deer In A Few Years

hseII

Until this year I've worked out of town during our deer season- barley home enough for Christmas & have had to work thru most Thanksgivings: it was just part of the job. However this year has been different.
I've hunted at dad's place a few times, & on Friday was able to hunt the back side of our place which adjoins land my cousin owns.

A big Doe came into the field from the woods like she had something behind her: I watched her when she first cleared the trees at about 115 yards but she never stopped moving.

She came straight towards the box stand I was in until she was so close that I could no longer see her: & then she started blowing at me.

The 6 came into view in the same spot she did so I believe he was hot on her tail & she wasn't cooperating.

He started eating acorns & then eased towards us.

I really wanted the doe but she was too close, & if I stood up to see her I risked loosing the chance to take either of them.

When my 7mm-08 went off I saw the shoulder of the 6 wiggle: he almost lost his balance but was able to run in a half circle for about 40 yards before I saw a flash of white between the 2 old semi trailers.

Honestly as he cleared the terrace I though I saw him slip between the 2 old trailers & questioned my shot.

What I thought was a white tail in gone mode was actually the 6pnts underbelly: he went tail over teakettle.

Now for the reason for the post; please look at the photos & respond with opinions regarding the wound channel/cavity. I feel it's a bit excessive, but I wasn't planning on eating any whitetail rib meat.

Attachments

• E52735EC-2512-4C1F-88F2-9824B58A98C9.jpeg
    E52735EC-2512-4C1F-88F2-9824B58A98C9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
  • BD19C6FD-F90E-48E4-A931-6B24F8C6559D.jpeg
    BD19C6FD-F90E-48E4-A931-6B24F8C6559D.jpeg
    899.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 2AEF71EF-E457-4989-B1AA-241D1722524A.jpeg
    2AEF71EF-E457-4989-B1AA-241D1722524A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
  • 1753B9D2-F868-46AD-B887-184E2B428AF0.jpeg
    1753B9D2-F868-46AD-B887-184E2B428AF0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • 075D45AF-3A22-4501-8E26-78B173C814AE.jpeg
    075D45AF-3A22-4501-8E26-78B173C814AE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
Congratulations glad you were able to hunt this year looks like he will eat good.as far as the wound channel gos.to me it looks like what hornady sst bullets do and it makes no sense why there wasn't a blood trail but yet again in my experience the sst bullets done that as well that's another reason why I quit using them.i haven't shot anything with the eldx bullets so I can't speak on any experience with them.but I have talked to a few people that do not like them and switch to ballistic tips or all copper like I did

Congratulations glad you were able to hunt this year looks like he will eat good.as far as the wound channel gos.to me it looks like what hornady sst bullets do and it makes no sense why there wasn't a blood trail but yet again in my experience the sst bullets done that as well that's another reason why I quit using them.i haven't shot anything with the eldx bullets so I can't speak on any experience with them.but I have talked to a few people that do not like them and switch to ballistic tips or all copper like I did
I think I'm going to continue using them for now & see if I can get more real world experience.

I bought ALOT of them & they shoot well on paper.

I've used 95gr SST from a 243 for years and always aim for the offside shoulder usually don't have to track them but get a pass through most of the time.
Past few years been running 143eldx in 6.5prc and with same shot placement the damage is very similar. On offside shoulder I'm getting pass through and heart lungs are jello if they had the ability to run they'd leave a heck of trail but they've all been bang flops with it so far. When we pick them up they drain blood everywhere.
Are you looking for a pass through and good blood trail on broadside shots or wanting bang flops? Shooting front shoulder/neck is rough on any non mono bullets at muzzle velocity. The 139 interlock or sst from hornady should be perfect deer bullet from your 7mm-08.

I've used 95gr SST from a 243 for years and always aim for the offside shoulder usually don't have to track them but get a pass through most of the time.
Past few years been running 143eldx in 6.5prc and with same shot placement the damage is very similar. On offside shoulder I'm getting pass through and heart lungs are jello if they had the ability to run they'd leave a heck of trail but they've all been bang flops with it so far. When we pick them up they drain blood everywhere.
Are you looking for a pass through and good blood trail on broadside shots or wanting bang flops? Shooting front shoulder/neck is rough on any non mono bullets at muzzle velocity. The 139 interlock or sst from hornady should be perfect deer bullet from your 7mm-08.
I admittedly was a bit conservative on my hold- I should have held about 2" higher & about 4" further back.

This is the first time I've shot something other than paper with this little Ruger predator.

Eldx have been great bullets for us so far from near point blank to 220yd I've got pass throughs and bang flops reactions. We all get a little excited and pull a shot occasionally but it worked out for you so don't sweat it. It sure is cool to have a deer slammed into the dirt and not even twitch before you can cycle the bolt.
For deer they're a hard bullet to beat, tough enough to save your bacon if you're a little off the mark but soft enough to open consistently. To me they act like a "tipped interlock", a little extra bc to buck the wind and shoot flatter but open up predictably. Hopefully I get a chance to test them again later this week at longer range.

Eldx have been great bullets for us so far from near point blank to 220yd I've got pass throughs and bang flops reactions. We all get a little excited and pull a shot occasionally but it worked out for you so don't sweat it. It sure is cool to have a deer slammed into the dirt and not even twitch before you can cycle the bolt.
For deer they're a hard bullet to beat, tough enough to save your bacon if you're a little off the mark but soft enough to open consistently. To me they act like a "tipped interlock", a little extra bc to buck the wind and shoot flatter but open up predictably. Hopefully I get a chance to test them again later this week at longer range.
Hopefully I will get the chance to test more as well.

Thank You.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the velocity of your bullet. i shoot 168 gr. Berger VLD at 2850, They do a lot of damage, and will bang flop an elk, and most everything else. I've used it on everything I hunt, with great results. I tried it on a javelina and was afraid it would tear up too much meat. It did not. I believe that the heavier bullets are tougher and don't expand quite as fast. Of course a heavier bullet is traveling a bit slower, so that helps minimize damage. At magnum velocities, I like Barnes bulelts. They don't over expand.

I always aim for middle of deer vertically, and behind the shoulder. When hunting, things often don't go as i plan, and that is the biggest target. I like a bullet that does a lot of damage and exits, because i want a blood trail if my shot isn't great. With the Bergers, I haven't needed a blood trail. On elk I like to hit the scapula. I love it when they drop instantly.