5 Year Old's First Deer

fishybobtrout

This is my first post on the forum, but I have enjoyed reading the articles and posts for a couple of years now. I live in Mobile AL. and enjoy hunting, fishing, and shooting. But this is about my son's first deer hunt.

My son was turning 6 years old this year, in November, and my hunting buddy, Brad, and I thought he was big enough to kill a deer this year. I started working with Harrison about 3 months before the season came. I printed pictures of deer in different positions, broadside, quartering to and away, and put dots on them where I wanted him to aim. We studied those pictures most every night. I also let him shoot a pellet rifle with a scope in the back yard. I would blow up balloons and let him pop the balloons with the pellet rifle so that I would be sure he could aim and squeeze the trigger properly, and so that I would know he had the proper sight picture. We also practiced with an archery deer target until I was sure that he was ready.

The rifle is nothing fancy. An H&R Handi Rifle in .243 win that will shoot 1-1/4" groups at 100 yds. with federal factory power shok ammo. I put a new Redfield 3-9x40 scope on it because it has good eye relief. I put a youth stock on the rifle and filled the butt with lead weight to help reduce the recoil. The .243 doesn't kick much but my son only weighs 38lbs so I didn't want him to be scared to shoot. By the way I never let him shoot the .243 until we shot at the deer. We only practiced with the pellet rifle so as not to develop any bad habits.

The Alabama youth weekend 2010 came in and I couldn't get off work in time to go on Friday but was able to leave on Saturday morning. We made the 3 hour drive to the property and after hanging around the camp with guys and watching another youth sight in his rifle, we headed to the woods. My son is not the most patient of hunters and after about 45 minutes in the stand was starting to get restless. So we studied our deer pictures for a couple of minutes and talked about shot placement, then he went back to playing with his toy motorcycle. I had just gotten through explaining to him that we may not even see a deer or they may not show up until dark. No sooner had the words left my mouth and a cowhorn buck steps out of the woods about 40 yards from the shooting house we were in.

After a lot of whispering, Don't move, stay down, Now move, we got into position with Harrison sitting in my lap, the gun out the window and he was aiming at the deer. I was breathing about like I'd just run a hundred yard dash and trying to make sure he was doing everything right. I asked him if he could see the deer? Yes sir. Do you have the crosshair behind his shoulder? Yes sir. Are you steady? Yes sir. Again I asked him are you on him? He must have been getting tired of my questions because he just said, YEAH. I was so excited I forgot all about squeezing the trigger and just told him to SHOOT. He did and hit the buck perfectly behind the shoulder just like we practiced. He was so excited and after a short blood trail we found his deer. 140lb cowhorn. Shot distance by the time we got ready and made the shot was about 25 yards. Not long range, but long enough for the first one. I was proud as I could be. Sorry to be so long winded but here is the picture of my son's first deer one week before his 6th birthday.

1000036z.jpg

1000035h.jpg

That's awesome !!!!

I did just about everything you did with your son to get ready. Those are the memories you'll never forget. Congratulations to you and your son and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Thanks Guys, I see you have been busy lately. My hunting buddy and I got on a roll this past weekend and shot 5 deer in two days, spot and stalk. I think if you added up all 5 deer the distance would be about 1225 yards for a 245 average. The closest was 211 and the farthest was 301. I used a Remington 5r Milspec in .308 for my 3 and he used a Weatherby Accumark in .300 Wby. on his. I like reading about the long range stuff on here, but most of our shots in Alabama would be less than 300 yards, and most places a lot less.
Bob.
img0243i.jpg

busyafternoon.jpg

My rifle, the Rem 5R in .308 and the 240lb 7-point I shot at 301 yards, along with the other two for that afternoon.

Last edited:
Awesome story!!!
Congrats to your son. Very cool indeed.
Nice rig you have there. And the buck is nice, any more pictures of him, he is got nice antlers.

Here is the only other picture I have, We only had a cell phone in the field and didn't take any other pictures once we got a better camera. He is a seven point, his left side has 4 nice points but the right side has no brow tine and the one of the three is broken off. I was using Fusion 180 grain bullets in .308. Zeroed at 200 yards, the trajectory matches the mil dots pretty close, the firs mil dot is 300yds, the second one 400 and the third one 500 yards. I am set up to dial my elevation with the Nikon Monarch scope I am using but since the buck was at 301yds, I just used the first mil dot and stoned him in his tracks.

photojod.jpg

The Fusion ammo is not the most accurate but it is accurate enough for hunting and I have been impressed with the bullet performance and it is cheap enough I can shoot twice as much ammo as I could using Federal premium or one of the other higher priced premium ammo. The second photo is the fusion bullet i recovered from the rib cage of the buck. The deer was quartering hard to me and i shot him just inside the point of the near shoulder. The bullet was about 2/3's the way back on the opposite side rib cage. Thanks.
Bob.
img0015v.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.