First custom rifle questions

What are guys using for recommended muzzle brakes these days?
APA Brakes are awesome. I use their self timing gen2 or 3. Kelbly also makes nice self timing brake.

Brakes serve a purpose. I've used several (419 Hellfire, Hawkins TI, Radial, Boss, etc.). I prefer the look of turned brakes to match the barrel contour. They are all loud and obnoxious to anyone around them while shooting. Suppressors are the way to go, but are a PITA to purchase and wait for delivery.

I have a suppressor but depending on the type hunting I'm doing it may not be desirable. So I want a brake also.
I would then look at the APA or KELBLY self timing brakes. You can take them on and off quite easily and then screw on your Can. More than likely though you will have some POI shift after changing from Brake on, Brake off, Can on.

If it were me I'd buy a QD suppressor with the QD portion being a brake. I run both a Surefire SOCOM and a YHM Resonator just for this reason. My YHM has absolutely no POI shift from Can on or Can off and the brake does a great job. YHM makes 2 QD brakes for their Suppressors.

Last edited:
Not to be a contrarian, but bolting a rifle together is pretty simple, takes very little time and is free. My last bighorn action and trigger tech trigger came from northland in less than a month. So did my last stock from manners. And bottom metal. All this past summer.

I bought my last barrel blank here and had it shipped directly ES Tactical. They turned it around in a couple weeks. That was a couple years ago. I'm not saying they are GAP quality builds but they shoot.

I enjoy tinkering, its a fun part of this game for me. If that's not you and you have the time and money for a good smith go for it, but do not be intimidated by doing it yourself.
What do your groups measure with your builds?

Salmon River solution makes great brakes.
I have several of them form him.
I also run brakes and a can depending on what I'm hunting.
It's gonna be a nice build.

I have yet to embrace the use of muzzle brakes or supressors myself but many of my friends and colleagues love the APA brakes and a few run the Kelbly brakes.
Muzzle brakes serve two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. I started using muzzle brakes in 2003 and never looked back. Spotting the target on impact is priceless. I am not recoil sensitive, but most of my hunting rifles from .25 - .33 cal sport a muzzle brake. The suppressors do not mitigate recoil as well as the muzzle brakes, but I have two now, and it is a very nice muzzle device to have. I understand it is not for everybody, but it is available for us to choose from.

I think all of the Proof prefits have threaded muzzles
I never ordered pre-fits from Proof, but when I do elsewhere, it is the end-users 'option. @huntoregon might need to ensure it is the configuration he wants/needs. I'd hate for it to show up after waiting long, expecting it to be threaded and ready for a muzzle device install, but it is not.