First custom rifle questions

More than likely self indexing.

Also another small issue I ran into, I bought Hawkins BDL bottom metal, but did not realize it doesn't come with a follower and spring or action screws. Stupid me for assuming. Can I use any REM 700 LA follower, spring, and screws now?

Also another small issue I ran into, I bought Hawkins BDL bottom metal, but did not realize it doesn't come with a follower and spring or action screws. Stupid me for assuming. Can I use any REM 700 LA follower, spring, and screws now?
You also need a magazine box! Proper length. Here's a complete kit.

Hey guys I have never had a full custom rifle built and I am wanting to go ahead on a build soon. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me on.

What is typical turn around time on a custom rifle from a good gunsmith?
How do you select parts or do you just take builders word/experience?
What kind of price range would you guys feel is fair for a full custom?
Can you guys recommend any specific smiths that would be worth a call?
Are there any places that may have custom build rifles on the shelf, almost like a spec rifle?

What I am wanting to build is a 7 PRC for deer and elk. And if I ever get lucky enough to draw an antelope, sheep, or goat tag I could use it also. It will be primarily a hunting rifle. I have very basic reloading knowledge and experience so I would like something that could potentially shoot factory ammo in case I can not work up a load. I have no idea what action would suit my needs, I read these forums and everyone has their own opinion and it sounds like every brand aftermarket action is talked about good and bad. Weight would be nice to keep down for packing. I would like to keep the budget $4-$5k tops for the rifle without scope.

Let me know what you guys think and or recommend. Any ideas appreciated.
Well, I had one built by, Shaw custom rifle a 375 ruger, still had to put on an adjustable cheek rest, it was built on a Savage action, but doesn't have the shank nut. But I like it, the fit and finish are good, I had it made with the longer action so I can feed the longer bullets may have to get the barrel throated. Longer DBM. But it is a great looking rifle, has the accutrigger on it had to get the lighter springs still may replace the trigger, tried a timney but switched back to the accutrigger. Took about 7.5 months to get it in my hands. Less than a MOA during barrel breakin, have not done any optimization yet for reload accuracy yet.

I never ordered pre-fits from Proof, but when I do elsewhere, it is the end-users 'option. @huntoregon might need to ensure it is the configuration he wants/needs. I'd hate for it to show up after waiting long, expecting it to be threaded and ready for a muzzle device install, but it is not.
I agree, I had to give quick look and their site to make sure

You'll need a mag box too. I buy all of my screws, followers, springs, and boxes from Red Hawk Rifles here in Colorado. They are great, ship super fast, and they will take care of you by phone or email if you have any questions. Any Rem 700 LA set-up will work. If you switch your barrels and bolt faces out between magnum and non-magnum cartridges, you'll need separate followers for magnum calibers too. They're not expensive though. https://redhawkrifles.com/

I have started to make a little progress. I got the barrel screwed into the action today and the trigger installed. I have bottom metal already. Waiting on the stock, mag box, spring, follower, and action screws. I have not ordered a muzzle break yet, still trying to decide. Anyhow thanks again for all the help. It's nice to finally make some progress.

Attachments

• A5D7FC9D-C7EA-4675-BDE5-EF05DFD124E0.jpeg
    A5D7FC9D-C7EA-4675-BDE5-EF05DFD124E0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 63F80767-CD2D-4267-87D1-C5DD9BA90F97.jpeg
    63F80767-CD2D-4267-87D1-C5DD9BA90F97.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • DCDA7D8D-EDA7-4875-996E-B8D497564CD6.jpeg
    DCDA7D8D-EDA7-4875-996E-B8D497564CD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Well done, looks great I'm sure you will be happy with it. Follow proof research barrel break in procedure and you will be ready to work up some.handloads