First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

No, I don't. Check with a local gunsmith, they may have one or two laying around waiting to be bought. I'm a Savage guy, so that is my preference for an action to build on.

Tank
Gotcha. Yeah, I've always been a Remington 7 & 700 kinda guy. But after my Weatherby Accumark, I'm beginning to become a solid Weatherby fan, as well.

I can't decide whether to build another .257 Wby, or build a .30-378 Wby for long-range.

What's yall's opinions?

In my opinion I would go with the 257 Weatherby for 500 yards or under. If your definition of long range is beyong 500 yards I would go with the 30-378 with heavy high bc bullets.

In my opinion I would go with the 257 Weatherby for 500 yards or under. If your definition of long range is beyong 500 yards I would go with the 30-378 with heavy high bc bullets.
I'm talking beyond 500. My .257 Wby is fine for up to 500 with a 300 yd Zero. it only drops off about 12 inches or so out to 500. Anything past that it starts dropping too drastically. And I can't afford a NightForce 5x-25x for it. I just have a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 w/ 30mm tube. So, out to 500, it's dead! But I am worried about beyond 500. I have a few 1,000-1,200 yard shot areas at my hunting land if I sit on top of a few of the major hills shooting down. So, thinking that a .30-378 would be a badass rifle to have.

I agree. With a scenerio like that where your sitting up on a hillside and not carrying the rifle all over a big 30 or 338 would be a great setup. I personally would lean towards a 300 RUM with 210 Bergers or a 338 RUM/338 Lapua with 250-300 grain bullets,use a long barrel and get the rifle weight up to where it would soak up some of the recoil. The 30-378 would be just as good as anything else out there. Half the fun is planning it out.

If you wish to stay with a 257 Wby, then check with Paul at Wildcat Bullets and see if he will make you some 130 gr and/or 142 grain bullets. Then get one of the cut rifling barrel makers to make you a 1-8 twist barrel.

The BC of the 130 gr bullet is about the same as the 6.5 Berger 140 gr VLD or a hair better. It is not as good as the 7mm 180 Berger but is not off by a lot.

You will need some extra barrel length to get them to going fast. :D

If you wish to stay with a 257 Wby, then check with Paul at Wildcat Bullets and see if he will make you some 130 gr and/or 142 grain bullets. Then get one of the cut rifling barrel makers to make you a 1-8 twist barrel.

The BC of the 130 gr bullet is about the same as the 6.5 Berger 140 gr VLD or a hair better. It is not as good as the 7mm 180 Berger but is not off by a lot.

You will need some extra barrel length to get them to going fast. :D
Well....I wasn't going to spend that much on the .257 Wby since it shoots good like it is. It is a Mark-V Accumark, so it shoots REALLY good like it is out to 500 with the 110 AccuBonds.

I don't reload my own ammo. I don't have the money to get started. Nor do I know a dang-thing about even getting started...I wish I did/could afford to. It would be cool being able to have some custom 140 grain Triple Shocks for it....or 140 grain Accubonds for it. If they even make such a thing.......

If your not reloading, then the 30-378, or the RUM with factory premium bullets would be a great option. These two calibers run about the same. I think the 30-378 has a little edge in velocity, but not by much. Ammo will be cheaper for the RUM though. As far as optics are concerned, if it is a dedicated long range system, then a fixed 10, 12, 16 power scope would be the ticket for long range. If you know you are going to get some short shots, then a 4.5-14 would be a great option.

Tank

The way ammo prices are going its getting to a point where you can't afford NOT to reload. Keep your eyes open for used equipment on some of these sites and can get started without spending alot of money. Its alot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to shooting.

The way ammo prices are going its getting to a point where you can't afford NOT to reload. Keep your eyes open for used equipment on some of these sites and can get started without spending alot of money. Its alot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to shooting.
Thanks Tank & GJN. I know, right? Ammo is getting rediculous!

Has anyone else heard about the ban on .308 caliber guns? I don't know if it's true....but I heard that they were gonna try to add the .308 Win. to the national "weapons ban" list.....Is this true? If so, should I go ahead and get one built now and stock up on ammo? Or do yall think stuff will still be available for them?

Do yall think the ban will pass? I hope not...B/c if they're going as far as banning good deer hunting calibers like the .308 and things like my .223, then that will sure be a pretty sad day for folks like us that enjoy collecting guns and shooting and hunting.

I guess there's always a few in every crowd that have to screw things up for the rest of us, and force their own personal agendas on others.........But that's life, right?

You have to understand that they are going to try and ban everything if given the chance. Let them ban the .308, there are more potent rounds out there in the 6.5mm and 7mm class that will be a lot more effective. I love the .308. I own one, but, if push comes to shove, a nice 260 Rem. or a 7mm-08 will work just fine. :cool:

I wouldn't count on it. They try that, they are going to have a lot of trouble getting rid of it. Just keep supporting your pro gun legislatures.

As far as loading equipment... I would check yard sales or garage sales in the spring. You may come across some or even at home auctions. That is the best way to save money if you come across something.

Tank

You have to understand that they are going to try and ban everything if given the chance. Let them ban the .308, there are more potent rounds out there in the 6.5mm and 7mm class that will be a lot more effective. I love the .308. I own one, but, if push comes to shove, a nice 260 Rem. or a 7mm-08 will work just fine. :cool:

I wouldn't count on it. They try that, they are going to have a lot of trouble getting rid of it. Just keep supporting your pro gun legislatures.

As far as loading equipment... I would check yard sales or garage sales in the spring. You may come across some or even at home auctions. That is the best way to save money if you come across something.

Tank
Oh, I know there are more potent calibers out there....but a .308 is just one of my all-time favorites. I used to have a custom made .308 until some jackass stole it and 3 other guns, and all my archery equipment from my shop last October. I don't have the money to replace my .308. Insurance didn't give me crap. The gun was built by a local gunsmith, who happens to be a good friend of mine. You might have heard of him before. He owns a shop out of Selma, Alabama....His name is Jimmy McCullough.

I can't afford to have Jimmy make me another one since insurance didn't cover 1/3 of the value of my items.

I have been wanting another one since I have a nice supply of some really good ammo I bought for it right before it got stolen.

That's why I have been looking for actions for so long, and can't find one in my price range & Jimmy doesn't have any for sale right now.

Should I just take out a loan an build another one before they try to ban it where we can't own one....but it would be grandfathered in since it would be previously purchased?

Have you looked at a Savage sporter action or the target action? They can be had for around 350 to 450 dollars. They make a very accurate rifle!If your going to take out a loan, then go for broke. Use a BAT, Lawton, Stiller action and build a beast of a rifle. I'm sure if they don't ban grandfathering in of things you will be okay.

Tank

Have you looked at a Savage sporter action or the target action? They can be had for around 350 to 450 dollars. They make a very accurate rifle!If your going to take out a loan, then go for broke. Use a BAT, Lawton, Stiller action and build a beast of a rifle. I'm sure if they don't ban grandfathering in of things you will be okay.

Tank
Yeah, I know......I was hoping to avoid it....but I guess it's inevitable. I might as well get it over with. The sooner it's paid off, the better.....right? :rolleyes: LOL

My son took his first antelope this year with my 257 @ 530 yrds. MY speed goat was 450 love that rifle. IF you hit a klipsringer at 500 you should be able to hit a speed goat at 800 :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.