First AR

Natman

Recently purchased my first AR. I got a smoking deal on a DPMS Sportical for coyote and general varmint hunting here in the mountains of southwest Virginia. I don't plan on any shots further than 300 yards. I have installed a Mega-Arms trigger and will be putting an Alexander Arms G10 Composite free float handguard in the coming weeks. First day at the range proved promising at 100yds. After the first 20 rounds of shoot and clean with inexpensive factory fodder my first 3 shot group turned in at a tad over .500 inch with some of a buddies handloads. Any views on what field practical upgrades I should look at acquiring and good handloads.

I may should have also mentioned that this is my first semi rifle of any type. I have been a bolt man all my life and currently hand load for a .300 weatherby, various .243 models and a custom 22-250. I know I went inexpensive on my choice of AR but was testing the waters so to speak to see how I like them. The .500 inch group I got may have been fluke but was hoping to get some advice on options I could get for this rifle. I love a challenge so this carbine was right up my alley.

I may should have also mentioned that this is my first semi rifle of any type

To get a discussion going you might mention the caliber and barrel length of your Sportical.
DPMS uses that name for several of their rifles in 223 Rem and 308 Win, maybe others.

Upgrades? Every DPMS AR I have needed a better trigger but which one (and other options) is a matter of preference.

It is a carbine length 16 inch barrel chambered in .223 or 5.56. I am mainly looking for a good coyote and groundhog tool. 1 in 9 twist barrel with glacier handguàrds.

A better trigger is the most important thing you can do. If you're able to get 1/2" group with your buddy's hand loads just start with his recipe... I will say that the best combination I have found (it works in every one of the AR's and bolt guns I've shot it in) is 25.3g of AR Comp (Alliant) and the 52g SMK with most primers. It has worked for me in rifles and carbines with twist rates of 1 in 7 to 1 in 14. The 52g AMax bullet in the same loading shoots almost as good. The Hornady 75g HPBT with 22.5g AR Comp and the WSR primer shoots very well also.

The trigger does feel alot better since the upgrade. I want to keep this rig as light as possible. What opinions do you all have on the aforementioned handguard as well as the lightest possible stock and a quality variable power scope that is still light. 16 inch may not have been the best choice but in the woods I thought it would be handier. I am leaning toward the heavier 69 to 75 grain bullets for the coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.