Thinking about first AR...

goattman

I have never owned or even shot an AR. Never had the interest. For some reason I am now thinking about it. My biggest concern is sort of based on an assumption or preconceived notion of mine: "AR doesn't do anything particularly well, but everything pretty good". A jack of all trades, master of none. I always felt that if I could only have ONE rifle it would probably be an AR but since I am not limited to one, there really was no place in my life for one. Getting back on topic, my real concern is accuracy. I am currently looking at Sig M400 5.56mm. Probably, "Hunter" model with 20 inch barrel. Looking in the $1000-$1200 range for a rifle, adding Leupold VXII 4-12 (cause I have one on the shelf), is it reasonable to expect MOA or close to MOA accuracy out to say 300 yards out of the box after break-in? Or should I expect upgrades for that type of accuracy?

If that is what you are looking for , I would point you towards the Rock River 20" varmint/predator rifle. The Rock river trigger is one of the best from the factory and I am including the single and 2 stage trigger in this statement. This rifle can be found for under $1100 with some searching. There quality it exceptional for mass produced rifle. If you were inclined yo spend a touch more the Fred Eichler model in the guns for sale, this is a nice setup and only needs optics and you'll have a tackdriver. Just for the record this is not my rifle for sale nor do I know the owner. I am partial to the6.5 grendel and do have sspares of them if you decide you want one big enough for med size game and superb accuracy.

Just about any quality upper with a good barrel will hold MOA with good ammo, if it's on an lower with a good trigger (at least in 223/556, some of the thumper AR chamberings open up a bit). Your Sig should be an MOA rifle if it's it got a good trigger. But as above, Sig is pretty proud of their stuff, as such, I think you can get more rifle for the same $$. Several makers guarantee MOA for that kind of $$. Even my old truck gun shoots MOA, and it's just an old RRA Coyote Carbine upper. Like any good rifle, you're mostly paying for a good "go" button and tube.

I have an RRA Varminter, heavy stainless barrel. I put a Timney in it and a Viper 6.5-20 on it, it is a shooter.

I think RRA makes a solid AR especially for the money. I have one and then went to Larue at a touch more money. Based on my experience with the .223 Larue I ended up also getting the .308 OBR. My RRA still get shot a lot too and is a sub-MOA gun. I think once you get into the AR realm you will realize just how modular they are. You can set them up for virtually anything you have in mind and then expand to other calibers for even more options. The different set ups and different calibers on the same lower will allow you to have the same trigger pull and ergonomics across the spectrum of uppers.

I agree with all the above. I have the RRA Coyote and it is as accurate as any bolt gun I own (within its range). Blew my mind.

You're biggest challenge is going to be shooting ANY semi auto into sub MOA at 300 yds with that optic.

A talented semi auto shooter with a sub MOA (100yd rifle) at 500 yds might be able to drop 5 rounds into 3 inches....and you might not be able to shoot the exact same rifle into a 6" group at the same range.

It's not the rifle, it's the level of experience with a shooter and the platform. It's exponentially more difficult to shoot VERY WELL with an AR platform, than it is to shoot with a bolt gun.
There are lots of AR15 rifles that will shoot sub MOA at 300 yds...and I mean LOTS. Don't get discouraged if you're not able to do it...the AR's are VERY different than bolt guns.

Everyone here talking about their guns shooting MOA or Sub MOA, are usually talking about 100 yds, where they can use their optic to control the situation. The farther out you get, the more your optic plays a role.

Your choice, is not what I would choose to shoot SUB MOA at 300 yds.
Will it work? Sure, if you know what you're doing...but the job will be easier with my 5.5-22 Nightforce (OR many others), simply because it has more zoom and better glass.

My point, is that whatever you choose, may or may not be the limit of accuracy.

If you can shoot MOA or SUB MOA at 100 yds...then the only thing limiting you at 300 or 500 is your experience. The gun can do it.
The days when AR15s were considered LESS accurate than a bolt gun, all but over.

An off the shelf AR, can be equally as accurate as an off the shelf bolt gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.