First AR Build

Autorotate19

Iv been wanting to start on an Ar build here lately. Im wanting a 18" carbine with a medium contour barrel. I want to make sure every part at least meets mil spec and I basically want to have the most reliable Ar possible without spending a fortune. Which lower would you guys recommend? I have a buddy who has a brand new bare POF lower that I could get a really good deal on if I want. Its billet which from the research Iv done so far comparing billet to forged the finish is nicer or prettier. Also Iv been reading that forged is actually stronger. What do you guys think? Also what lower parts kit would you go with and which upper? Just looking for some first hand experience, I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks

This might work for your 18 inch upper. It is out of stock but I'm sure they will get more in soon.

BCM SS410™ 18" Rifle Length Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC TRX 13" Handguard 1/8 Twist

Also how about something like this?
SPR Mk 12 Upper Receiver Half Groups

They do have a ton of different style uppers so you may want to go through and get a real good idea on what may suit your needs best. I've bought quite a few things from Bravo company. They ship fast and the products are good with competitive pricing.

I wouldn't sweat the lower. Mil spec with a good trigger group is all you need there. Your upper is where 90% of your FTFs will occur. Again, mil spec is the most reliable, but you can do better (but it'll cost ya). I'd find the best deal you can on something 5.56 and true mil spec, then keep it simple. The more fancy crap you add on to it, the better your chance of failure. Just my 2 cents, but it always worked for me.

Good advice so far in here, in my opnion. Daniel Defence makes most of the barrels other people sell so check out there web page as well.

I have used the LPK from G&R tactical for 6 lower builds now. The triggers are AWSOME for a non tuned GI. If you want to upgrade just fallow the drops and pick what you like. Also disregard the out of stock until you call and speek to grant or his wife.

You can polish a GI trigger on your wet stone. I did it to one of mine and it took a pound off the pull weight and is smooth as silk.

G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kits (OUT OF STOCK) at G and R Tactical

I ended up trading for a Daniel defense m4. Everything iv read says they are top of the line. Is there anything I should look at upgrading? How are the triggers?

Thanks

Just got my Daniel Defense. Took it out the same day and its pretty sweet. The only thing Im not a fan of is the trigger. Is there anything I can do to lighten it up? What should I upgrade to? Also Im wanting to get an acog for it, which rear flip up sight should i replace the existing one with eventually?

Thanks for all the input!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.