First .338 lapua Mag Build

samueljf07

Currently in the process of starting a dream build of mine. I have mastered the AR platform, and wanting to expand my armory and knowledge on bolt guns. So far I have settled on using a Surgeon 1581XL Repeater action. I have picked the brains of several people and got the general consensus that surgeon is one of the best (if not the best) actions you can buy. I have also done a decent amount of research on barrels, and prefer to go with Bartlein. I plan on sending them the action and have them do all the gunsmithing work in order to not void the warrenty on either by having a local gunsmith accidently messing something up. The reason for the build is to use the Cadex Lite Strike or Dual Strike Chassis'. I find those stocks in particular to be absolutely amazing when it comes to function and sex appeal. Cadex has recently came out with a complete rifle using their Patriot actions and Bartlein barrels. I would like to get the same contour of barrel that cadex used or go with the M40 contour. My main concern is weight with the M40 contour. I do not know much about high end triggers for bolt guns either. I have heard Timmney and Jewell are amoung the best. As for the brake, I would like to keep it small and simple. Although there is not a lot of information about brake efficiency, the Barrett 98B brake is the top runner from ones I have seen.

So what I need input on is the barrel contour, trigger and muzzle brake. Also, how difficult will it be to assemble everything once I have it all?

Here is my 2 cents. I am also in the process of building a 338 lapua lucky for me though I live 5 miles away from bartlien barrels and am having them build it for me.
For barrel contour I would call and talk to bartlien or at least go on their web site it has a break down of all their barrel sizes and weights.
They talked me into a timmney trigger I am told it is a great trigger for the price. But also that I wouldn't go wrong if I went with a jewel.
For a brake I went with a Vais. If you want to do a little research check out Precision Rifle Blog He is in the the process of publishing the results of a big test of a bunch of different brakes.
hope this help a little

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.