338 Lapua build

GoatHerder

Looking for info on an action with the following.

Integrated recoil lug

Integrated 20 MOA rail

Titanium but may consider stainless

Built my 338 Lapua Rogue on a BAT Machine HR receiver.
Integral recoil lug and 20moa picatinny scope rail. Stainless steel - melonited.

But no titanium option from BAT.

Built my 338 Lapua Rogue on a BAT Machine HR receiver.
Integral recoil lug and 20moa picatinny scope rail. Stainless steel - melonited.

But no titanium option from BAT.

The bolt melonited or the complete action?
Who did the coating?

The bolt and the action body are both melonite treated.
BAT sends them out for melonite treatment. So melonite is an option, straight from BAT.

Would you be willing to share the details of your rifle?
What bullet do you use?
What speed you get?
Barrel length and taper?
weight?

Surgeon 1581. Integrated lug, integrated 30 MOA rail. Judging by your interest in Ti, it sounds like weight is a concern. The Surgeon is not light. It is a beast. But in my opinion that is exactly what you want for a Lapua.

Would you be willing to share the details of your rifle?
What bullet do you use?
What speed you get?
Barrel length and taper?
weight?

Sure. Here's the link to the Thread that covers this build:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-338-rogue.168245/

If you decide in a BAT action, do get the melonited action. Without melonite, the bolt lugs are susceptible to galling. With the melonite treatment, they're a class act. I'll add the link to my thread in a bit.

I'm currently shooting the Badlands Precision 275gr Bulldozer bullets. They're lathe-turned monolithic bullets with an aluminum tip to initiate expansion.
MV is 3,035fps with this Bulldozer bullet. 0.387 G7 BC.
Last year I was shooting the Berger 300gr OTM at a muzzle velocity of 2,925fps.

My barrel is a Bartlein #3"B" contour, with two modifications. The breech shank diameter is 1.305" diameter. The diameter @ 28" is 0.725". Barrel is 28" long with a 4-port Muscle brake. Barrel has been melonited.

See Post #13 in the "The .338 Rogue" thread for a look at my chamber reamer spec drawing.

You could gain another ~50fps if you went with less body taper and a 40-degree shoulder. I'm content with this chamber.

This is on the light end of 338 Lapua Imp rifles. I used a McMillan Thumbhole stock with Edge Technology. McMillan's lightest weight stock. I could have lightened it up further with a Proof Carbon Fiber barrel, and I may some day. This isn't my primary backpack hunting rifle, so I'm OK with it's weight, which is a little under 10lbs. I put a 3.5-18X Swarovski Z5 scope on it, which weighs only 15.9oz.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.