fireforming

goblbustr

Need some advise fellas. I have never used anything but red dot to fireform my 300 wby imp. Now i cant find red dot anywhere local. What would be a suitable replacement for 15 gr. of red dot. Thanks

I never bough into the "you need to fire form brass before you can conduct load development" theory... I've been shooting .300 WBY improved for years, and have always fire formed brass while conducting initial load development. In fact, I've shot some of my best groups in virgin brass. Once fired brass never deviated from the initial virgin piece when verifying load..

morning, what is a 300wbee improved. do u move the shoulder to 40 degrees??gun)

It's called a .300 Ackley Improved Magnum, or .300 Ackley (for short). I also have one. It replaces the antiquated rounded Venturi shoulder (which I personally don't care for) with a 40-degree rectangular shoulder, like regular (non-Weatherby) cartridges.

I never bough into the "you need to fire form brass before you can conduct load development" theory... I've been shooting .300 WBY improved for years, and have always fire formed brass while conducting initial load development. In fact, I've shot some of my best groups in virgin brass. Once fired brass never deviated from the initial virgin piece when verifying load..

Joel, with a belted magnum, I agree. I have found that fire-forming is not as necessary as it is with non-belted magnums. Because with belted mags, it headspaces off the belt, and the belt holds the case it place while fire-forming, therefore you don't have to seat to the lands to be sure the cartridge is seated firmly against the bolt face.

That being said, my .300 Ackley is more accurate with fire-forming loads, than my non-belted Ackleys are with fire-forming loads. And by that, I mean, maybe a 1/4" difference in accuracy...So, not by much. They're all very accurate guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.