Fireforming done!

Bob S.

Finished fireforming my initial 100 243 AI cases today at the range. I actually kept a few of the targets and took some pics of them since I think I have this pic posting figured out.
I made a tool from 1/8" brass rod and a couple of bow sight pin clamps for determining OAL.
Next step is ladder testing to determine powder charge to go with the 95 g nosler ballistic tips.
I'll keep you posted as to the progress.
335Picture_202-med.jpg

335DSC00063-med.JPG

335DSC00064-med.JPG

335DSC00065-med.JPG

picture quality is lacking but its a dime and 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Zero not dialed in yet due to garbage loads was just looking for grouping.

Cowboy:

Looks like you've got this picture posting down pat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good looking groups for fire forming. Looks like Kirby might have done a good job on your rifle as usual.

No excuses now, just keep us posted on the results of the full load tests.

We want to see the tool.

Me and Roy in Idaho are having a contest on the dumbest contraption we have ever devised. You are invited to enter your tool.

OK! I'll take a pic of my tool and post it for you guys.(that sounds so wrong)
We need a new post for homemade tools.
I have to get the wife to show me how to use her camera. Thats her tool and I'm not allowed to touch it!

Hey Cowboy,

Them there cases sure look familar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now then fun begins , keep us posted on your ladders and such. So far I have a load developed for my .243 AI that will soot 1" at 300. It's 42 grs. H4350 under a 107 Sierra mk hpbt., course my twist is 7.5 .

I have reloaded one lot of fireformed cases 5 times already and they don't grow hardly at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif They are still collet neck sizing to the same size and the primer pockets are nice and snug.

take care , Jim B.

Anybody heard of using cornmeal as a filler for fireforming cases in lieu of a bullet? I read an article in a back issue of Varmint Hunter magazine, and I have used this method to fireform my 30-06 Ackley cases with great success. Much less powder is burned also (pistol powder).The cornmeal is supposed to be non-abrasive, and I have noticed no ill effects on the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.