Fire (heat) cracking.

These new low-cost scopes definitely have their uses beyond bore scoping. They work fantastic for checking for case head separation rings inside of brass that I don't know the history of. If you want to see a "bad looking" barrel, you could check out any number of Savage hammer forged barrels that will shoot well under 1 MOA. I've got a 223 Remington Savage 12FV that will regularly shoot under 0.25". The barrel itself "looks" terrible, but shoots amazingly!!

How does over cleaning ruin a barrel?
Corey

I've done enough machining in my career to know that copper is a tough material to cleanly cut and tend to agree with David Petzal's assessment that, "why worry about copper buildup if you don't let it build up?" A thorough cleaning, even with a brass brush, won't do much to steel and a thorough rinse of any solvent, followed by a good oiling is better than letting 50-100 rounds of copper build up, IMO. For me the need for a borescope will be, when I see my 1950 Rem model 722 in 257bob start going inaccurate, which hasn't happened yet. The guys that gave me that rifle never cleaned their rifles. When they gave it to me, the barrel was actually furry looking as you looked down it!

If you scoped your bore when new you would have seen a 90° edge right there. It's the end of the chamber and the reason that brass needs to be trimmed to length, so the brass doesn't jam against it. That sharp edge is the first to take the blast and always the first to show fire cracking.

That's the reason I don't bore scope. I would lay awake at night wondering if my barrel was shot. I am OCD, A++ and whatever label you can put on it... so in lieu of buying new guns every 500 rounds, I elect to remain ignorant of what is inside there. 😜

I have a customer with a bull barrel chromemoly 22/250. Snake skinned as far as the scope will go in. I told him I need to order him a barrel. But he is still killing prairie dogs at 300+ and he is a tite wad. So Sometimes it is best not to worry about what you see.

Tell him to get some Tubb Throat Maintenance System bullets to smooth those scales out and he'll get even more life out of that barrel. 😎

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.