Heat Signature from Barrel Through Scope

Bang4theBuck

I have been on the verge of replacing a scope for a few weeks now. I thought initially that the glass quality or my inability to get a proper focus was contributing to eye fatigue while shooting. In just the last two shooting sessions, I have finally determined that the issue is the heat from the barrel distorting the image through the scope. The problem has been very pronounced since adding a suppressor to the mix. I do have a cover on my suppressor, but the issue still persists.

I have always tried to mount my scopes as close to the bore as possible, but I think now that this might be my problem. Is there an accepted distance that you need to be above the barrel to mitigate this issue? I know that there are probably a hundred variables here, but looking for someone with a similar experience. Before I run out and spend another $100 on higher rings.

I am not rapid firing, and the problem seems to start on about shot 5 or 6. The equipment looks like this:
Remington 700 trued
22" Bartlein Varmint equiv. profile
308 Win.
Silencerco Hybrid Suppressor
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 MM scope.
Vortex Premium PMR rings (low or med don't remember)
Pic Rail 0 MOA.
75 Degrees Shooting Temperature.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and what did you do about it. There is no way that I could shoot any sort of match with this condition, unless allowed time to let the barrel cool way down. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.