Fire Forming Rig

Colt77845

After reading many arguments (both ways) of throat erosion while fire forming with cream of wheat and considering clean up. I have an old 338AI Lapua barrel that I would like to have built into a fire forming rig. Barrel came off a Lawton 8500 action. Is there a cheap way to accomplish this? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

I sure havent... How has it worked for you compared to normal fireforming? Looking at their website and reading up on the radius shoulder left once ran through their forming die does FL resizing correct the shoulder left from forming die?

Sure sounds a lot easier and cleaner

I sure havent... How has it worked for you compared to normal fireforming? Looking at their website and reading up on the radius shoulder left once ran through their forming die does FL resizing correct the shoulder left from forming die?

Sure sounds a lot easier and cleaner

Yep, you got it! It works like a champ.

Others like Rich (Elkaholic) uses them too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You could make a fire-forming rig, but it would only work if both chambers were cut by the same exact reamer, to the same tolerances, and to the same exact headspace.

Your best bet would be semi-forming with the Whidden hydraulic die, like Ed mentioned.

Thank you guys for the help! Just called Whidden! Only down side is 8-10 week wait... But I went ahead and got the process started and sent them a diagram of my chamber

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.