Fire formed brass as a go?

If the new chamber has any slight smaller dimensions the FF brass might give false/ long headspace.

Brass can compress under the bolt cam force. In the past I have poured the case full of JB weld to prevent compression.

The main reason for "NOT" using fire formed brass for head space is that the chamber it was fired may/is not the same as the chamber you are cutting.

I will always use the SAMMI head space gauge (GO) to set head space, but will check factory cartridges in it to make sure that they can be fired. But I will never exceed the go gauge by more than 1 or 2 thousandths.

Belted cases are not very consistent brand to brand these days and should be checked against the Go gauge.

The main advantage of using a SAMMI or custom gauge that is required for wildcats is that once you fire form, the dies can be adjusted to get the amount of head space you want/need and most factory ammo/brass will work.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.