Go, No-go

johnnyk

Getting ready to order a pre-fit for my Savage 112. I want to order subject gauges before or at the same time as the barrel. I've done a little searching on the internet but can't seem to nail down a gauge called "6.5-284 Norma". I have found several named just "6.5-284". Will this work? If not, can I use existing brass that has been fired in the original barrel? It is a 6.5-284 Norma. Thnks. JohnnyK.

If you check out SavageShooters.com, you will find most of the guys there who use a case will size it before using it as headspace gauge. If you use one that was fired in your old barrel it may not chamber in your new barrel. What I like to use when I don't have/can't get the headspace gauges is a piece of new brass of the brand that I intend to use. If you use a piece of the brass you currently have, I would resize the brass before using it as a gauge. You can place two layers of scotch tape on the base of the piece you use to headspace with to turn it into a no-go gauge. The bolt should close easily without the tape, should not close with the tape. By using a piece of sized brass, you know that with your current die settings the brass will have minimal setback each time you size it so you don't over size or over work your brass.

Once you get the rifle set up, measure a case before and after firing it to see how much the case grows at the shoulder. You are looking for about .002" difference.

Make sure you get the brass seated in the bolt face when you set the headspace.

FWIW,

Dennis

6.5/284 Win, 6.5/284 Norma and 284 Win all use same go gauge. Like 308, 260, and 243 all use same gauge. Chat with the folks at MidwayUSA or Brownells or any other big suppliers, they'll get you what you need.

Dennis and 7magCM,
Thanks to both of you for your reponses. I knew I could use a case but that was all! Makes sense now (duh). I would rather use the gauge but was figuring out a plan B if A fell through :) .

I talked with a barrel maker today and he informed me that with the Savage action you don't really need the No-Go gauge simply because when you tighten the barrel up against the Go gauge that's it, no more room. I guess if I had done this a few dozen times I could have that kind of confidence.

Again, thanks a ton! JohnnyK.

You can get by without the No Go but for what they cost, you may as well do it right. Some folks set the headspace on the Go, then put a piece of tape on the base of it and check No Go. I'd rather use the actual made-for-the-purpose tool myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.