Fire-forming load help.

H110 (same as WW296 are HOT magnum powders (best for 357 and 44 mag) also used for 30 carbine and .410 shotshell loading. Manufacturer's advice says to NOT use more or less powder as it can detonate rather than burn progressively.

For goodness sakes, folks, we MUST read any/all warnings and take heed!
FWIW . I typically use 5 grns or so Unique or Bullseye under cornmeal or Cream Of Wheat for fireforming...with no bullet! Maybe a small bit of toilet paper to hold it in lace against the primer.
I tried exactly this last summer with no viable results. 5 grains of Bullseye, toilet paper wad, cream-o-wheat, capped with wax. After 10 rounds not a single case showed any signs of change.

As far as using H110, multiple manualsv(Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, etc) list H110 as a viable 22 hornet/K-Hornet powder with my load of 10gr listed in all so I don't know what you're chastising me about.

I don't nor have ever owned a cartridge I have had to fire form due to brass not being available however if I did I would be strongly considering getting a hydro die made to save on powder, projectiles, barrel wear etc etc etc.

https://www.whiddengunworks.com/hydraulic-form-die/

Sure you might think $170 is a lot of money but if your fireforming 300 cases Id call that paid for in one go!

I don't nor have ever owned a cartridge I have had to fire form due to brass not being available however if I did I would be strongly considering getting a hydro die made to save on powder, projectiles, barrel wear etc etc etc.

https://www.whiddengunworks.com/hydraulic-form-die/

Sure you might think $170 is a lot of money but if your fireforming 300 cases Id call that paid for in one go!
I have an hydro die, but the result is an almost formed case. Leave rounded edges, and to finish forming it, you need a bullet shot.
The cream-o-wheat method allows to get better formed cases than the hydro as a first step. This is my experience.
V

When I started out fire forming brass for a 250 Sav AI I contacted Sierra and they advised me to use a max 250 Sav load of IMR 4064 with the bullet hard into the lands. That worked wonderfully well.

However you are using a 22 Hornet which I believe headspaces off the Rim not the Shoulder so a bullet into the lands shouldn't be needed.
A couple of years ago I started loading for a new 22 Hornet and bought 100 new Win cases and they were junk. Case mouths were so badly cut that they wouldn't stand upside down on a glass table top. Although the first loading with Lil Gun and 40 gr Sierra Hornet bullets had an ES of around 30fps and sub MOA groups the next loads in the same cases had ES as high as 400fps in a 10 shot string and the 100m groups were over 6".
All those issues disappeared when I got hold of 200 RWS cases.
PPU cases have been said to be very good in the Hornet but they are known to be hard so that may be your issue.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but I fireform for my 243ai, 240 Gibbs, 25:06ai, and 6.5 Gibbs. In each case I load to a middle of the road manual load and shoot away and out pops a fully formed AI or Gibbs case. In successive fireing I've only lost one or two of the Gibbs cases and those I attributed to normal attrition in these very potent cartridges. Just my 2 cents.

I have been using new Win. brass, 40gr NBT and 11.0gr of LilGun seated at the lands. Accurate, cases are fully formed and no splits. I have tried PPU factory ammo and most all split.

I have been using new Win. brass, 40gr NBT and 11.0gr of LilGun seated at the lands. Accurate, cases are fully formed and no splits. I have tried PPU factory ammo and most all split.
Yeah, I emailed PPU and they even told me this as well. I am trying to sell my 290+ loads to fund a purchase of 300 Hornady brass. It's disappointing but I learned my lesson.

Well this has been a depressing read. I just bought 100 rnds of PPU .22 Hornet ammo to shoot for fun & to get some fireformed K-Hornet brass. I guess I will not be surprised now if most of the cases split on me. Thanks for posting this. Always learning new things on this forum.

Well this has been a depressing read. I just bought 100 rnds of PPU .22 Hornet ammo to shoot for fun & to get some fireformed K-Hornet brass. I guess I will not be surprised now if most of the cases split on me. Thanks for posting this. Always learning new things on this forum.
Welcome to my world sir. It smarts a bit but I was able to sell the loaded 22 Hornet for enough to pay for 200 new Hornady brass and 100 bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.