Fire Forming for 22-250 Ackley Improved

merbeau

I have been reloading for years and always have had commercial cartridges for my rifles. I happened to come across a FNH Mauser chambered for the 22-250 Ackley Improved which was in great shape.

So I have been doing some reading and Lapua does make Remington 22-250 brass which then has to be fire formed to fit the brass to the Ackley chamber dimensions.

I saw on Nosler's web site they recommend using a starting load with a 50-55 grain bullet and IMR 4895 powder with the bullet into the lands. That way case stretching will be kept to a minimum.

Then in my Lyman Cast Handbook they show reloads for the 22-250 for cast bullets using IMR 4227 powder which I have on hand. And Montana bullet company makes a 0.224 55 grain spire point.

Would seating the cast bullet to the lands using the cast loading data be an acceptable method? Sure would cut down on barrel wear.

Thanks

Robert

a lot of guys use a small shot of shotgun/pistol powder(roughly 10 gr) and cream of wheat or a little wax in the case mouth to fireform, then you have no bullet wear on the barrel, just dirty, i'm sure someone on here can help you further with the cream of wheat method or wax method. Also, a lot of people shoot factory ammo or a regular 22-250 reload with pretty good accuracy, however, this is not saving barrel life. IMO the wax or Co'W would be the way to go.

If you do decide to use the COW method of fire forming make sure you have the business end pointed safely down range.

cow_zps8715d784.jpg

I load my forming brass with the same load I shoot in my 22-250. 35gr of W-748 with a 55gr Hornady projectile. It forms the brass to my AI and is very accurate down range. Trim, neck size, and prep as usual for the AI.
I shoot varmints almost exclusively with it. If barrel ware is the concern, COW.
If you shoot p-dogs, it doesn't waste components. My AI is loaded a little hotter. 39.0gr W-748 and a 52grA-Max.

a lot of guys use a small shot of shotgun/pistol powder(roughly 10 gr) and cream of wheat or a little wax in the case mouth to fireform, then you have no bullet wear on the barrel, just dirty, i'm sure someone on here can help you further with the cream of wheat method or wax method. Also, a lot of people shoot factory ammo or a regular 22-250 reload with pretty good accuracy, however, this is not saving barrel life. IMO the wax or Co'W would be the way to go.

This is how I fireform all of my 'improved' cases.
I have used soap, candle wax, pumpkin (squash), potato and now use a twist of toilet paper, it works just as well as the other mediums tried.
For the 22-250AI, I use 15gr of Clays and the above toilet paper twisted and poked into the case mouth.

Cheers.
gun)

I use the cow method for my 22-250 ackley. To prevent case streching I run the neck over a 243 expander and neck size them part of the way back down leaving a false shoulder that takes a small amount of pressure to chamber to hold the case against the bolt firmly. Then I prime and load with 15 grains of unique powder, fill to the base of the neck with cream of wheat and top it with a patch. Like stated earlier this method does produce a good bit of muzzle blast. Hearing protection required and keep a eye on barrel heat. Here is a good article on fire forming.
260 Ackley Case Forming

Thanks to all that replied. Sounds like the COW method is preferred and I appreciate. the references (i.e., web sites) that discuss this procedure. Fortunately, I live in a rural area and there are plenty of isolated wooded sections on my property that I can perform this. Sounds a little messy.

Thanks

Robert

Thanks to all that replied. Sounds like the COW method is preferred and I appreciate. the references (i.e., web sites) that discuss this procedure. Fortunately, I live in a rural area and there are plenty of isolated wooded sections on my property that I can perform this. Sounds a little messy.

Thanks

Robert

I have a custom made John Whidden hydraulic forming dies for my current project to alleviate all of that.

I always fireform with a load that I can kill critters with.Why waste powder and time.
I usually seat the bullets out to just touch the lands,,just seems like it kept any concentricity issues at bay.
Go kill some varmints

I always fireform with a load that I can kill critters with.Why waste powder and time.
I usually seat the bullets out to just touch the lands,,just seems like it kept any concentricity issues at bay.
Go kill some varmints

The simple reason is that with an improved cartridge, I want the extra performance without wasting barrel life, I don't see the point of shooting unformed brass as the felocity loss in fireforming is substantial.

Cheers.
gun)

I fireform the brass for my Ackleys and my Gibbs' with the COW method. Works great for me. I live in the country and I fire them straight up in the air. I found firing them in the horizontal I'd end up with necks that were longer on one side then the other. Straight up fixed that for me.

I am in the process of trying the C.O.W. Fireforming on the original 280AI. I seen some videos and read some articles on it. I started with 10 grains of Bullseye pistol powder. I have a case that was Fireformed fully loaded with a bullet I am using as a reference for comparison of headspace using the Hornady gauge. I have upped the powder trying to match the reference case. From 17 to 20 grains I am .007 short according to the gauge. It appears that I have hit a wall. The shoulder is still a little rounded. Should I keep increasing powder or just start reloading them as the bullet and full powder load should finish the process? Also, can I reload the cases that are partially formed to finish them or try more COW with more powder?

I am not loading for the 22-250 Ackley , but for the 250 Ackley . I use 22-250 cases with Redding die with an expander ball to 25 cal. The neck is little shorter on the 22-250 case. I use light loads to form the cases. Remington cases are good, but I came across some Winchester cases that I call gun)junk. Win. is the marking ,this on the 22-250 cases. The quality was low, cases did not expand not very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.