Fire-forming 280 Ackley Improved from Lapua 30-06?

Have you tried Bass Pro, Cabelas or Midway for the Nosler brass? I would just buy the cheapest loaded 280 Rem. ammo and shoot it and they come out perfect. Other than that you have a lot of work that you really shouldn't have.

:D

I can get Nosler 280 Remington brass. As a matter of fact, I just called up Nosler and they wouldn't tell me who the company was that made the 280 AI for them but he did tell me that the same company who makes the 280 AI for them ALSO makes the Nosler 280 Remington for them.

Having said all of that, I guess it would be easier for me to buy the Nosler 280 Remington brass and fire form it.

I can get Nosler 280 Remington brass. As a matter of fact, I just called up Nosler and they wouldn't tell me who the company was that made the 280 AI for them but he did tell me that the same company who makes the 280 AI for them ALSO makes the Nosler 280 Remington for them.

Having said all of that, I guess it would be easier for me to buy the Nosler 280 Remington brass and fire form it.

I called Nosler about a month ago and they told me that they would have .280AI brass in 2 weeks- so they should have it by now. Just make sure that if you are fire-forming .280 to .280AI that your case is held firmly against the bolt face or you will end up with cases that look like my picture on the second firing. I learned this the hard way and it cost me a bunch of time and materials as well as some barrel life. In retrospect, I should have just bought a couple boxes of Nosler's .280AI ammo and shot it up while waiting for their brass to come through production.

Yes, Lupua seems to be the best and only in 30 06 now a days. But before buying 06 and shooting until it stretches to lenght, check the lenght of the 270. Still no Lupua but yes to Nosler or Norma.
Necking up .10"is less of an adjustment than the .20" down from 30 06. Other options are to get any brand ready to load then weigh very carefully and take the closest to a particular group. Some fill shot cases with water then weigh to check volume. The extra mass of water shows more clearly the volume of each case. Volume is the key to consitent reloads not brass strenght. With this method i acheived .25" 100 yard groups out of a 14" Contender in .223 .
Best to clean, then resize ,then trim. Careful to find a FIRE FORM load reciepe. Shoot. Now reload...good...do it again to expect your best accuracy.
I have two .280's and am always ready for a larger caliber challenge. It always spanks a 7 mag without the slap in the face.

BS

Nosler is supposed to have .280AI brass in stock any day now. I am holding out for that because fire-forming hasn't been all that kind to me.
IMGP2467.jpg

I gotta ask. whats the deal with the dent

Thats what I figured, guy at work was swearing up n down it was from to much lube in the die. I asked him why would anyone run a case through a sizing die with case head separation like that? He still insisted it was lube:rolleyes:

Thats what I figured, guy at work was swearing up n down it was from to much lube in the die. I asked him why would anyone run a case through a sizing die with case head separation like that? He still insisted it was lube:rolleyes:
Same reason-- trapped crap
Entirely different origin though-- as the case ruptures at the start of the firing cycle, a lot of partially burned powder and gas will get trapped, hence the soot and dent. I've seen these twice with the 7stw on brass that was worked for many cycles and a trim or to to much without retiring. A dent like that can happen from poor initial gas pressure too. I've had it with my 300 win with faster powders and light bullets(playing with 125 grain bullets and 4895).

I gotta ask. whats the deal with the dent

The gas comes out of the case head separation and is trying to make it's way forward to go out the bore

DSCN0244.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

A dent can happen also from the chamber neck not sealing and gas going back toward the case head but it has happened in every case head separation I have seen or read about

For my 280AI I use the Nosler 280 Remington brass and outside turn for my tight neck before fire forming. Fire forming with 280 Rem brass can be quite accurate and sufficient for any hunting purpose

280AIfireformingload.jpg

Yes, Lupua seems to be the best and only in 30 06 now a days. But before buying 06 and shooting until it stretches to lenght, check the lenght of the 270. Still no Lupua but yes to Nosler or Norma.
Necking up .10"is less of an adjustment than the .20" down from 30 06. Other options are to get any brand ready to load then weigh very carefully and take the closest to a particular group. Some fill shot cases with water then weigh to check volume. The extra mass of water shows more clearly the volume of each case. Volume is the key to consitent reloads not brass strenght. With this method i acheived .25" 100 yard groups out of a 14" Contender in .223 .
Best to clean, then resize ,then trim. Careful to find a FIRE FORM load reciepe. Shoot. Now reload...good...do it again to expect your best accuracy.
I have two .280's and am always ready for a larger caliber challenge. It always spanks a 7 mag without the slap in the face.

BS
1 Be sure the case is firm against the bolt by touching the bullet to the lands. 2 Use a FIREFORM load not a normal one.

IMO seating the bullet to the lands will not prevent the case from moving forward and taking up all available head clearance and reducing headspace (on the case) to zero and even moving the shoulder back a couple of thousands.

The firing pin strike and the primer going off in the primer pocket will push the case forward with several hundred foot pounds (more than enough to seat the bullet further unless you have one helluva crimp). A false shoulder will mitigate case movement forward but will not totally prevent it.

I used to fireform a 30-06 JDJ (T/C Encore wildcat w a short neck, max case capacity) by seating the bullet hard (jammed) against the lands (as JDJones himself recommends ) and have never had a problem fireforming ammo this way.

I also think you could form 280AI using '06 brass. Case would be a bit short but that in and of itself won't be a "problem".

If you have a tight neck 280AI chamber, it may be best to turn necks after sizing down.

Simply sizing the neck down to form the shoulder in the appropriate spot for getting a snug fit in the chamber will also eliminate case stretch.

Regards
Rog

IMO seating the bullet to the lands will not prevent the case from moving forward and taking up all available head clearance and reducing headspace (on the case) to zero and even moving the shoulder back a couple of thousands.

The firing pin strike and the primer going off in the primer pocket will push the case forward with several hundred foot pounds (more than enough to seat the bullet further unless you have one helluva crimp). A false shoulder will mitigate case movement forward but will not totally prevent it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.