fire forming brass.

Bigeclipse

I got my brass in for my rifle. I will be fire forming the 50 cases next weekend. I have decided to also do some bullet length seating testing during the fire forming. It may or may not help in load development later...who knows but my question is do you guys test anything else during fire forming. Just seems like a waste of bullets and powder.

I got my brass in for my rifle. I will be fire forming the 50 cases next weekend. I have decided to also do some bullet length seating testing during the fire forming. It may or may not help in load development later...who knows but my question is do you guys test anything else during fire forming. Just seems like a waste of bullets and powder.

What are you fire-forming it to?

For my .270 AI, I do accuracy load for .270 Win as I fire-form it to .270 AI ... this way I have accuracy load for both rounds.

What are you fire-forming it to?

For my .270 AI, I do accuracy load for .270 Win as I fire-form it to .270 AI ... this way I have accuracy load for both rounds.

Ok maybe I used the wrong term. It is a regular 3006 and I simply bought new nosler brass for it which I will be shooting the first time. I heard that the first shooting of brass to your chamber is a good step to take

Ok maybe I used the wrong term. It is a regular 3006 and I simply bought new nosler brass for it which I will be shooting the first time. I heard that the first shooting of brass to your chamber is a good step to take

Brass are best when fired from the chamber you're going to develop the load from, i.e, I have three .300 Win Mags and I track them separately and develop load according to each particular rifle.

Brass are best when fired from the chamber you're going to develop the load from, i.e, I have three .300 Win Mags and I track them separately and develop load according to each particular rifle.

That is what I'm doing. I bought nosler brass to work up a load in my 3006. I heard before you work the load up...you want to shoot the brass through your rifle with a low end powder charge to form the brass to your chamber. Then work up a load on the once fired brass. My comment is...is there anything that can be learned during the first shooting process (what I am calling fire forming)

That is what I'm doing. I bought nosler brass to work up a load in my 3006. I heard before you work the load up...you want to shoot the brass through your rifle with a low end powder charge to form the brass to your chamber. Then work up a load on the once fired brass. My comment is...is there anything that can be learned during the first shooting process (what I am calling fire forming)

Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting

I've read that before thanks but I was wondering if during the first firing if people learn anything about their loads or if it doesn't work? For example...I decided I would do Bergers bullet seating depth a test to see which seating depth it likes at the minimum loading. Then I will use that seating depth during my ladder test later on. Maybe it won't be right maybe it will but I figure I'm shooting these first 50 pieces of brass to form them anyways so I might as well try something.

You should use those 50 shots to learn something.

Run a couple of ladder tests. This will give you a powder charge window as well as finding your safe maximum. Once you find your charge window, tune seating depth.

Unless you're truly fire-forming (eg - an ackley improved, or a wild cat requiring fire forming), you won't change the characteristics of the load dramatically on second firing.

Once you get your 50 fired, you should be very close, and will have eliminated much in the way of bad combinations.

-nosualc

Your chamber is the ultimate custom die.
We are always 'truly fire forming' new brass in it, as this forever changes your brass into what your chamber makes of it.

Bigeclipse, your doing the right thing in knocking out Berger's seating testing here.
You might also test primers in a general sense. But it's hard to say anything with a velocity attribute to watch will stabilize, until tested in stable capacity -for your chamber- brass.

I have 500 rounds of Hornady 139gr. btsp bullets that I was using to fire form my 280AI with moderate loads of H-4350. Wound up with a load that shoots 3/4" groups or less. Now I load 20 new Norma 280 brass up with these for playin. When I'm done playin I have nice formed brass for my high dollar bullets. :)

Your chamber is the ultimate custom die.
We are always 'truly fire forming' new brass in it, as this forever changes your brass into what your chamber makes of it.

lightbulbDitto!lightbulb

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.