Fire formed 338 Lapua brass?

gohring3006

How many times you guys think I should fire the brass before setting up the die to bump the shoulder .001? Should I wait till it's hard to chamber? Or set it up after the first firing?

I find it usually takes 2 or 3 times on virgin brass to get it fully expanded . you could take a couple pieces and just neck size until they start to get tight , then set your shoulder bump on these .

Depends on chamber I would say. My M112 brass grew from 2.715 to 2.718 total length. Also H2O went up 5grs from unfired to fired. I don't have a precision mic set here for the Lapua YET to see how the shoulder is moving but that is more case movement than I am used to. However I always build my own Savages and set the headspace very tight so that virgin brass just fits.
The great thing is we have Savages and can adjust it if we wish so as soon as my gauges show up I may shrink my chamber a little.
I have never had to bump shoulder because I usually am running loads in calibers that you are done in 3-4 loads anyway so this will be a learning process with Lapua brass for me.

How many times you guys think I should fire the brass before setting up the die to bump the shoulder .001? Should I wait till it's hard to chamber? Or set it up after the first firing?

I think ts gonna be kinda chamber specific. Like Todd stated, the initial headspace plays a role here.

My brass usually takes two firings before it gets tight, and i usually, initially, only have to set my die up to touch the shoulder after the first firing. Its also not unusual for me to keep adjusting my die to get the headspace right every couple of firings.

Some of my loads have been very picky about headspace, others not so much.

I cut a guage for my virgin brass before initial firing, and although my chambers are cut .001-.002 over the go gauge, it takes nearly .006 for the brass to become too tight to chamber.

Last edited:
I think ts gonna be kinda chamber specific. Like Todd stated, the initial headspace plays a role here.

My brass usually takes two firings before it gets tight, and i usually, initially, only have to set my die up to touch the shoulder after the first firing. Its also not unusual for me to keep adjusting my die to get the headspace right every couple of firings.

Some of my loads have been very picky about headspace, others not so much.

I cut a guage for my virgin brass before initial firing, and although my chambers are cut .001-.002 over the go gauge, it takes nearly .006 for the brass to become too tight to chamber.
I ordered a bump gauge from John Whidden, to check shoulder bump.
I have a neck die and a FL die, but probably will end up getting a body die. I figure I'm going to do as I always have, and neck size for now, then bump the shoulders when they get hard to chamber. I always had pretty good luck doing that with several of my rifles. Some get hard after one or two firings, and some go thru the life of the brass and never have to bump the shoulders.. Thanks for the info...

I ordered a bump gauge from John Whidden, to check shoulder bump.
I have a neck die and a FL die, but probably will end up getting a body die. I figure I'm going to do as I always have, and neck size for now, then bump the shoulders when they get hard to chamber. I always had pretty good luck doing that with several of my rifles. Some get hard after one or two firings, and some go thru the life of the brass and never have to bump the shoulders.. Thanks for the info...

If your comfortable doing that, and you get good results, then more power to you.

If your comfortable doing that, and you get good results, then more power to you.

I'm new to the 338 Lapua, I have heard some stories about pressure issues with neck sized brass. That's mainly why I asked. I really want to FL size the brass but only bumping the shoulders back a .001 or .002. That seems to be the way most guys are running the Lapua.
So my plan is to neck size them until they get hard to chamber, then set the FL die up to bump the shoulders back a little, or get a body die. Not sure yet.. I'm thinking the body die with a neck bushing die is probably the route I'm going to go.

I'm new to the 338 Lapua, I have heard some stories about pressure issues with neck sized brass. That's mainly why I asked. I really want to FL size the brass but only bumping the shoulders back a .001 or .002. That seems to be the way most guys are running the Lapua.
So my plan is to neck size them until they get hard to chamber, then set the FL die up to bump the shoulders back a little, or get a body die. Not sure yet.. I'm thinking the body die with a neck bushing die is probably the route I'm going to go.

Everyone i know that shoots a large magnum FL sizes every firing.

Everyone i know that shoots a large magnum FL sizes every firing.

I agree .

I'll shoot virgin brass 2 or 3 times with only neck sizing to get the brass fully expanded . when I get a couple pieces getting tight these are the ones I use to set my dies up with . after I get my dies set , I full length size every time . on the lapua I bump my shoulder about .002 - .003 . I use a neck bushing die and a body die . I anneal my brass every other time .this keeps the shoulder bump very consistant .

I agree .

I'll shoot virgin brass 2 or 3 times with only neck sizing to get the brass fully expanded . when I get a couple pieces getting tight these are the ones I use to set my dies up with . after I get my dies set , I full length size every time . on the lapua I bump my shoulder about .002 - .003 . I use a neck bushing die and a body die . I anneal my brass every other time .this keeps the shoulder bump very consistant .
That's my plan...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.