Finding C.O.A.L with Hornady O.A.L gauge...am I doing it right?

Gunner1

Started working on getting loads figured out for my Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag. using the O.A.L gauge and comparator. I've already measured two different rounds, ten bullets each to get and average. It's kinda surprising how bullets can vary so much even in the same box. Anyway, once I start loading rounds how do I ensure that I'm seating the bullets at my desired depth? Essentially just bit by bit in the seating die measuring each time with the tools then once I have it where I want it, just lock it down on the seating die right?

Started working on getting loads figured out for my Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag. using the O.A.L gauge and comparator. I've already measured two different rounds, ten bullets each to get and average. It's kinda surprising how bullets can vary so much even in the same box. Anyway, once I start loading rounds how do I ensure that I'm seating the bullets at my desired depth? Essentially just bit by bit in the seating die measuring each time with the tools then once I have it where I want it, just lock it down on the seating die right?
Are you using a Store Bought Modified Case? Or a Twice or 3 time Fired Case from that rifle and you modified the case tom accept threaded COAL: Tool?

The best way is to load a fired formed case dummy round with red lock tite, wiping off the excess and gently load it in the chamber, let it sit for a few minutes to stiffen. Let it sit 24 hours before you put pressure on it just to be safe. Then get a micrometer seater to set your depth . The oal comparators don't sit on the ogive of the bullet verses where the ogive of the bullet meets the lands of your barrel. As the throat erodes the diameter changes.

How are you measuring oal? Just oal with a caliper, or some kind of comparator?

COAL is simply measured with calipers.
A 'cartridge' is assembled ammunition.

It's best to test for most accurate Cartridge Overall Length (COAL), or better still Cartridge Base to Ogive (CBTO) (which you would use a comparator for). You log this and reproduce it with the same local measuring tools and dies.
The only way to know that each loaded cartridge is at same CBTO is to measure each during reloading.
It's not a set-n-forget item.