Ladder test of .308 with H4895. Am I doing this right?

By the way, how in the world does Hornady's Superformance factory ammo get such great velocities? This same rifle shoots a Superformance SST 165 grain bullet at an average of 2792 fps.

I'd like to use whatever they are using.
43.0 is the max on the Hodgdon website. And since this is an AR10 you should probably follow the sevice rifle max of 42.3 .

I agree target and vel[ocityQUOTE="asd9055, post: 2402760, member: 73445"] Don't let them confuse you with the target. It has to be at 300 yards or longer to be significant. Really IMHO is you should be doing the combination target/velocity....but what you did works as well [/QUOTE]
43.0 is the max on the Hodgdon website. And since this is an AR10 you should probably follow the sevice rifle max of 42.3 .
If there are no signs of over pressure I don't see a problem, neck tension can have a big effect on pressure, too much can be a no go but less neck tension will lower the pressure, we don't know what he's got but if there are no signs of pressure is what I think is important and you need to educate yourself on these signs or ask.

I agree target and vel[ocityQUOTE="asd9055, post: 2402760, member: 73445"] Don't let them confuse you with the target. It has to be at 300 yards or longer to be significant. Really IMHO is you should be doing the combination target/velocity....but what you did works as well
If there are no signs of over pressure I don't see a problem, neck tension can have a big effect on pressure, too much can be a no go but less neck tension will lower the pressure, we don't know what he's got but if there are no signs of pressure is what I think is important and you need to educate yourself on these signs or ask.
[/QUOTE]
If your velocity is consistent but your groups are bad I don't see how that can be a good load although they usually go hand in hand

If your velocity is consistent but your groups are bad I don't see how that can be a good load although they usually go hand in hand
[/QUOTE]
What process are you using when reloading, just neck sizing, FL sizing, are you bumping the shoulder, collet dies, don't know, if you feel any resistance in a bolt gun when ejecting a round that is a sure sign of over pressure and you need to back off that load, if you only neck size eventually you will reach a point where it is hard to eject the round, using light loads it will take a while.

I do it almost the same except I start taking multiple shots and using the average and starting with larger steps and getting smaller. For example, I would probably of loaded this latter 41x1, 41.4x1, 41.8x1, 42.2x2, 42.5x2, 42.7x2, 43x3, 43.2x3, 42.4x3, 42.6x2. It takes a few more shots but I it has never given me bad results.
Im not saying your way is wrong or right.Im suggesting a different route as to not let barrel heat affect your test by shooting one or 2 different loads and Round Robin it around and 10 different targets.
Its just a suggestion.It really has nothing to do with how you spread out you charge weights.Its only to give each different charge a equally fair Shot without Barrel Heat playing a big factor. It works much better than waiting and letting a barrel cool off as to try to negate the rising heat Temps.Good Luck

Im not saying your way is wrong or right.Im suggesting a different route as to not let barrel heat affect your test by shooting one or 2 different loads and Round Robin it around and 10 different targets.
Its just a suggestion.It really has nothing to do with how you spread out you charge weights.Its only to give each different charge a equally fair Shot without Barrel Heat playing a big factor. It works much better than waiting and letting a barrel cool off as to try to negate the rising heat Temps.Good Luck
Thin barrel is good for five shots, thick barrel is good for 10 in most circumstances, lowest variation in fps is where you want to be along with grouping, find where everything comes together and work up and down from there, once you find that then go back to seating, see what works, don't forget that neck tension and straightness of the round can also have big effects on accuracy so it's important that you keep everything consistent when reloading, I never full length size anymore, it creates to many variables and works your brass a lot.

Thin barrel is good for five shots, thick barrel is good for 10 in most circumstances, lowest variation in fps is where you want to be along with grouping, find where everything comes together and work up and down from there, once you find that then go back to seating, see what works, don't forget that neck tension and straightness of the round can also have big effects on accuracy so it's important that you keep everything consistent when reloading, I never full length size anymore, it creates to many variables and works your brass a lot.
OKay...GOOD LUCK

I've done it both ways but when doing it round robin I still don't load multiples of the lower charges, I only do it for safety.

All I was trying to say is that if your reloading isn't making the same bullets everytime your results will be skewed, is your round straight, that will change your results, do you have same neck tension, changes combustion, that will change your results, shoulder the same, that will change your results, if your full length sizing with the expander you probably need to have a large sample size.

I've done it both ways but when doing it round robin I still don't load multiples of the lower charges, I only do it for safety.
If you can get you some Century 21 Mandrels. Make sure your shoulder bump is always equal by checking it with your comparator .Get you a Concentricity Tool..Lube your case necks when loading with One Shot using a swab. Make sure you are seating each round the same depth. Measure with a comparator BTO ( base to Ojive. Not COAL ( cartridge Over All Length.) And dont chase the lands man..When you check your JAM and when the bullet does not stick..back off 0.020 and start from there increasing ..Not Decreasing.
Watch ERIK CORTINA Y0uTube Video on HOW TO FIND JAM ON BARREL.
and also watch on how to find seating depth.
This is best advice I can give you and good luck. I hope we have helped you some.Let us know how it turns out

Recent Posts