FinalFinish & FinalFinish TMS???

FF is perfect for break-in with newly finished barrels.
I use (5)#1 & (5)#2 compound bullets with aftermarket barrels.
I use (10) of each #1-#5 as suggested with factory barrels.

TMS is for later use now & then.

About 6 months ago I sent them an email asking about using their bullets in a brand new barrel. This was the reply.
For your barrel you will want to use the TMS system. You will shoot 7 to 10 rounds of this through your barrel then clean good. As the Krieger 5r barrels are a high quality this should be enough to break in as well polish the barrel.

Does anyone have any reviews or opinions on this product from superior shooting systems? I heard about this product from a gunsmith and am curious what the opinions are on this. I only know what I have read about it. Has anyone used it? Thanks for your time.

With all of the yeas and neas I guess I have one question. What if any is your problem?

If the rifle is shooting well don't do anything.

If it is just a question, You have lots of information to digest

There are lots of different opinions on this site (Thats a good thing) so you have to decide
based on what you believe is most relevant to your situation.

Good luck on your decision.

J E CUSTOM

With all of the yeas and neas I guess I have one question. What if any is your problem?

If the rifle is shooting well don't do anything.

If it is just a question, You have lots of information to digest

There are lots of different opinions on this site (Thats a good thing) so you have to decide
based on what you believe is most relevant to your situation.

Good luck on your decision.

J E CUSTOM

I dont have the rifle yet. I am having a rifle rebarrelled and have heard about the product. I am trying to get some information to make an educated decision whether or not to use the FF and TMS system. Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate everyone's time.

Edd, TMS looks to be #3 compound in the FF kit.

The manual states:
[This TMS kit doesn't have the necessary 'strength' to polish & prepare a barrel for optimum performance; it is designed only to augment and maintain throat smoothness.]

This is within my basis for using only compounds #1 & #2 for a 10sht break-in with aftermarket barrels, and it's worked well for me. But i'll try TMS for break-in on the next & if nothing else I can later fix it with MY routine.

I'm tellin ya, 'polishing' notions are dangerous. The best barrels in the world, all of them, are NOT polished. They're carefully lapped to a specific surface profile that's best. It ain't no accident, and the only thing we can haphazardly do is screw it up..
But I stand behind FF because it just happens to work.

Edd,

I'm tellin ya, 'polishing' notions are dangerous. The best barrels in the world, all of them, are NOT polished. They're carefully lapped to a specific surface profile that's best. It ain't no accident, and the only thing we can haphazardly do is screw it up..

Sorry Edd, I didn't copy all of your quote but I liked the the way you said it.

Someone else said that they would not touch a custom barrel and I agree with this 100%.

Quality custom barrels are lapped to a specific surface finish to get the most from the barrel(
Consistency, accuracy and minimum fouling). when I lap a barrel I try to duplicate the finish
inside Dan Lilja,s barrels for several reasons, they foul very little and they break in with
minimum rounds fired (8 to 12 normally) Also they tend to be a little faster than some other
barrels.

Some of the best groups I have shot have been clean barrels with less than 50 shots
through them.

J E CUSTOM

Recently, I read an article on accuracy, rifling, heat and the throat area. I think it was off a site connected to the NRA, but not sure. This gunsmith/shooter shot one of his rifles out to around 10,000 rounds. I believe he had to cut the throat as the bore wore out essentially from the wear caused by heat. Anotherwords, the throat eroded and accuracy diminished, so he re-cut the throat and kept shooting the barrel. Around 10,000 rounds accuracy dropped below 1/2 MOA. So, time to scrap the barrel. He was testing the main issue of heat and throat erosion relative to accuracy. He then cut the barrel down the middle into 2 halves to check the rifling. There was no rifling left. Now, it didn't disappear at shot 9999! The gun was accurate until about 10,000 rounds.

Food for thought.

Moral of the story?

Recently, I read an article on accuracy, rifling, heat and the throat area. I think it was off a site connected to the NRA, but not sure. This gunsmith/shooter shot one of his rifles out to around 10,000 rounds. I believe he had to cut the throat as the bore wore out essentially from the wear caused by heat. Anotherwords, the throat eroded and accuracy diminished, so he re-cut the throat and kept shooting the barrel. Around 10,000 rounds accuracy dropped below 1/2 MOA. So, time to scrap the barrel. He was testing the main issue of heat and throat erosion relative to accuracy. He then cut the barrel down the middle into 2 halves to check the rifling. There was no rifling left. Now, it didn't disappear at shot 9999! The gun was accurate until about 10,000 rounds.

Food for thought.

Moral of the story?

Rifles wear out the most/fastest at the throat area but can still be accurate if loaded correctly.

I have a match rifle with over 20,000 rounds through it and It will still shoot sub 1/2 MOA.

The throat is worn and the first 1/2 " of the lead shows signs of wear so I increased the COAL
.020 and It made a difference. It is a repeater and the next time that it needs this I will set the
shoulder back one thread and re headspace the chamber with the reamer to freshen up the
chamber, throat and lead.

This barrel has been taken care of and the rest of it looks very good. I have seen barrels with
2" or 3 " inches of free bore that still shot ok (Not to Our standard but surprisingly well).

The point is , just because a barrel has throat erosion does not necessarily mean it is used up,
because if it has bean taken care of it still has lots of life left with a little adjustment.

Going from a secant ogive bullet to a standard ogive can sometimes make a huge difference
also.

J E CUSTOM

Does anyone in this thread have any experience with a product called "Dyna Bore Coat" (I believe it used to be called "Ultra Coat"). It is supposed to leave behind a 25 micron ceramic coating that greating reduces copper fouling and reportably will last the life of the barrel. Sure would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Thank you for the link. I had read that article before, from a LRH newsletter I think. The products claim that there is no velocity increase has me wondering if it is bogus or not. I guess I will keep "seeking" more info on this, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts