FFP vs SFP

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will have to do some research and come to a conclusion on which way to go. Part of me says SFP cause I've used one for 20 years and seemed to do fine with them.
Bud if that's what you are comfortable with by all means stick with it, they both do the same job it just boils down to personal preference

Bud if that's what you are comfortable with by all means stick with it, they both do the same job it just boils down to personal preference
My big concern is that with an FFP scope or even a SFP turret dial scope is sometimes you wont have enough time to dial and get the shot off. With a SFP and BDC type reticle I have already shot and verified distances before and have no need to even dial just shoulder and fire, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will have to do some research and come to a conclusion on which way to go. Part of me says SFP cause I've used one for 20 years and seemed to do fine with them.
I think we all suffer from the unwillingness to change at times. One thing about a FFP scope is, if the reticle size appeals to you, you can use that scope w/o ever realizing the benefits of it. You can still dial all dopes, if you miss by 8" off one side of your intended POA, hold the center of the reticle 8" off the other side for a followup. It is still a scope, you can crank it up or down and shoot, if you think you need to hold off or over 12", it still does that, no different than a old style duplex. Even with the most busy reticle, say a Horus 59, your eyes still funnel to the center of the scope.
I hope I don't draw this out, but i bought my first FFP scope in late 2010, 6-25 Leupold Mark 4 ERT, moa turrets, mil reticle, not dots. I was an moa guy, I rarely used the reticle for any measuring and did fine with it. Dialed my windage, held or dialed accordingly if I missed.
I shot NF NXS 2nd focal for yrs after this, and loved them. But I started making the switch, and am down to 1 2nd plane scope, not looking back.
I am not advocating you change directions, just saying it was no big deal. If you are set on a BDC style system, and the work entailed to make them productive, by all means stay the coarse.

Last edited:

A good SFP duplex or wind-plex can be fine, especially if you are turning turrets.

My dad talks bc and a lot of long range stuff, but in the field, he has a 270 WSM, kinda knows his MPBR and won't shoot with much wind. He has a wall full of racks, so he can't be too wrong! Most have died 100-300 yds out. I mean it does't take near as much when slaying them at 200 yds!

My big concern is that with an FFP scope or even a SFP turret dial scope is sometimes you wont have enough time to dial and get the shot off. With a SFP and BDC type reticle I have already shot and verified distances before and have no need to even dial just shoulder and fire, if that makes sense.
That's one of the main reasons I'm a FFP shooter, I have all of y holdovers committed to memory and there is no error in the retical, to me its just simple and easy, don't get me wrong as I've killed a pile of critters with a SFP scope but once I switched I'll never go back, I found a killer deal on a scope at the pawn shop last month but it was SFP and I could not make myself buy it because I knew I would never use it, I will make a suggestion get an Bushnell Nitro in Mil Mil, I don't care what the Nay Sayer's have to say, they have awesome glass for the money, ( They are on sale at Midway now at half price) they have a great retical for holdovers ( Deploy Mil ) and track perfect and if its not for you I'll buy it from you, and I don't care which one as long as its Mil Mil FFP

Last edited:
Interestingly, after some use of both, I found myself easily adjusting whether I use an FFP or SFP while hunting, not much different then switching from my single trigger waterfowl shotgun to my double trigger side by side used for upland game.. My subconscious seems to make the change in my motor skills.resulting in the seamless and instant adjustment. Most of my hunting scopes are SFP with power ranges in the 5x-20x range with 1MOA reticle divisions at max power, for both vertical and horizontal planes. My normal mode of carry has the power set at 10x, with my power ring lever, (a very useful device for ease of game acquisition), position set at 10x. This is easily adjusted to 10x or 20x either visually or by feel. For the longer shots using higher power, the power ring is simply turned to max power, with a return to 10x instantly brought to position if required. At 20x the substensions are 1MOA; at 10x, they are 2MOA. If lower then 10x is called for, the lower substension values are generally superfluous because the range is usually short, not requiring use of the reticle scale. 10x or 20x is used for +90% of my hunting shots. At these powers I can use either turrets or the reticle for wind or elevation adjustments very effectively.

Last edited:
I prefer the SFP for hunting and precision target shooting. MOA is easier for me, I can "see" the MOA in my "math mind". The MOA makes for finer adjustments than the MIL.
The FFP is harder to math for me because in America we don't use the metric system often.
I do have both but I do not like that the crosshairs obscure small targets at long range in the FFP, you just have to hold where you think the target is when it covers it up.
The SFP, the crosshair does not get huge as you turn the power up like the FFP.
I have the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 MOAR-T .250 MOA and the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 MIL-XT .1 MIL and I do my precision shooting with the SFP.
I have Leupold Mark 4 Mil reticle MOA dials, that's how they made them for years and I've never had any problems with them. I have never had any problems ranging with them or making precision shots with them but I use them as I was trained.

There are pros and cons to each and it ends up being personal preference over anything else.

What is comfortable for you?

What do you like the best?

What helps you hit the target that you are shooting at?

Best of luck with your choice.

For me SFP is best if using a range finder for purely hunting. Range, dial and shoot if that's your model. I like the FFP and had a IOR FFP with the MP8 that I liked at any magnification but haven't been in love with any other FFP i've looked throught yet... since for hunting apps. Just too fine at low magnification for my old eyes.

I may be mistaken but, depending what quality of glass you want, the FFPs may have better glass available. My understanding is that the glass is better as an example in the Lup 5HDs coating wise, than the V lines. And looking at the upper class glass, Zero Comp. the 3k plus class, etc, SFPs are thin as frogs teeth. As has been stated, on low magnification seeing the reticle can be tough on FFP if not impossible in field conditions. You really have to look through them and decide for yourself what will work. I've held off on upgrading glass to the super HD level until I can get to cs or somewhere to see if at lower mags in timber, early or late, reticles will be visible. Guess illumination kind of addresses that, but for me simpler is better so it would be nice to find premium glass with all the features I like in a SFP.

I've shot both but am strictly a FFP Mil shooter now, IMO its much simpler, I know someone will say that the retical shrinking becomes useless any second now but I have found with a FFP scope in low light conditions I dial down to the lowest power and place the Deer between the heavy Sub Tensions and its a no brainier as long as i do my part, To me the sub tensions and hold overs staying the same out weighs any other disadvantage, As Feenix said they are not for everybody but if you don't like it they are easy to get rid of
I agree but some reticles like the tremor 3 lack the thick part of the reticle so they are harder to use on lower power

I'd like to see more high quality FFPs with a CQB low magnification option. Center shot for close work without the need for illumination if reticle too fine. Double duty maybe at its' best.

FFP subtensions are always the same. If you memorize your drops, because BDC is almost NEVER exactly 200, 300, 400, 500 yds-most are something like 1.5MOA, 4.5MOA, 7.5MOA, 11 MOA , but only at max power, a FFP will ALWAYS be 2MOA, 4MOA, 6MOA, 8MOA (for example), no matter what magnification you are on. Go down to 9/16 power on a SFP, and you better be really good at math really fast for accurate holdovers. Because your "400 yard" subtension is now probably 481 yard subtension.
So if you know 300 yards is 4.5MOA, doesn't matter whether you are on 3x or 12.2x or 14.8x or 20x. 4.5MOA is always 4.5MOA.

Last edited:

the key difference here is that SFP works on one magnification. So with a 4-20x, you may end up trying to shoot a 400yd shot on 20x in high mirage.

With FFP, you could shoot that at 10x still using the reticle.

the other option is getting a 3-12 SFP knowing that 12x is a big stretch at 1000 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.