FFP vs SFP

It's getting warm in here, isn't it?

Back to topic.

I prefer the FFP in higher powered scopes (>10), because the mirage at 20x or 24x can be too distracting, so I'd rather leave it at a lower power and still have the mildots calibrated. At the lower powers and shorter ranges, I don't really need the calibration and/or the mirage isn't an issue, so I don't see much advantage FFP vs SFP.

I've never had a problem with the reticle covering the target at longer range, but I understand there are different reticles that might.

So, some advantage, but not much.

That said, most of my hunting rifles have SFP, and those rifles are used in spot and stalk. SFP, because I just don't see many FFP/mildot arrangements that I can afford. I'd LOVE to have all S&Bs with Holland's ART... but that ain't gonna happen.

i find it amusing so many people say they cant afford the real high quality glass or custom built guns but yet they cant pass on another cheaper gun or optic they think is priced right even if they dont need it? ffp sfp get what you like but make it a good one.

For what it's worth I used a Horus Vision Predator (FFP varmint reticle) 8.5 x 26 on a Savage Model 12 in .204 to make one shot kills on prarie dogs at 466, 487 and 580 yards on my first trip ever. No big deal for you guys but previously I had never shot a rifle at anything over 100 yards (wingshooter by trade). I used handloads and drop charts from Precision shooter's workbench. All were shot at 26x with no issues in target cover up. As an inexperienced rifle shooter, all I know is range, look at the drop chart, hold up and over on the reticle and boom. I can then track to other dogs in the town with no adjustments. Worked for me..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.