FFP vs….

nksmfamjp

I wanted to show some pics through my ffp so folks can gage this reticle too small issue.
All pics taken at 300 yds. Largest steel is 12". Sorry just crappy iPhone pics.
4x:
5B9797FC-62C9-44FD-B221-5289E9628A8F.jpeg

10x:
E3166E95-E63E-4481-9E15-1DB085B34B28.jpeg

20x:
AF7456AB-0E65-4C77-B7D9-6263C30C5C16.jpeg

At 300 yards, I would most likely be at 8-10x. I carry on 4x in case something pops up at 75 yds or something.

I post this because when people are trying to understand the FFP vs SFP thing, I think it is often done without thinking about how the thicker reticle slides in from the sides to improve 15-100yd low power aiming with most reticles.

Probably I should have a question….why is SFP better at low power, short range on a long range hunting rifle?

Last edited:
Should do a side by side comparison to really show the difference . The reason for FFP is to use the built in ruler from the reticle. SFP will only do that at a set power otherwise it changes throughout the different power levels.

Is that reticle level on that rifle? Pic 1 makes it look canted?

Should do a side by side comparison to really show the difference . The reason for FFP is to use the built in ruler from the reticle. SFP will only do that at a set power otherwise it changes throughout the different power levels.

Is that reticle level on that rifle? Pic 1 makes it look canted?
I thought the same thing about the reticle being level. I kind of think it`s an optical illusion caused by the the flip caps maybe being a little off. 🤷‍♂️

I thought the same thing about the reticle being level. I kind of think it`s an optical illusion caused by the the flip caps maybe being a little off. 🤷‍♂️
I made no effort to get it square in the pictures, but I think my system to align to the rifle is pretty solid.

100% w/Feenix on this! "I" also prefer FFP scopes now. AND, I wish that I had a better understanding of reticle options BEFORE I purchased one of my VERY expensive (Schmidt-Bender) FFP scopes. A simple, duplex reticle, especially a heavy "European" duplex can obscure the target. I wasn't prepared to give up that much "precision". So, as it turned out, I shot a mule deer at 248 yards and didn't really notice or care that I was dialed in at 3x! It takes a bit of getting used to and as others have said, picking the reticle that best suits your purpose helps - in your satisfaction and not over-paying for things you won't use or ever need - like a Horus reticle that can add $100s to the cost of a scope.

I wanted to show some pics through my ffp so folks can gage this reticle too small issue.
4x:
View attachment 351178
10x:
View attachment 351179
20x:
View attachment 351180

At 300 yards, I would most likely be at 8-10x. I carry on 4x in case something pops up at 75 yds or something.

I post this because when people are trying to understand the FFP vs SFP thing, I think it is often done without thinking about how the thicker reticle slides in from the sides to improve 15-100yd low power aiming with most reticles.

Probably I should have a question….why is SFP better at low power, short range on a long range hunting rifle?
Would neve go back to SFP , after 1000 of rounds in Viet Nam you would understand why.

4x:
View attachment 351178
10x:
View attachment 351179
20x:
View attachment 351180

And thanks for the pics, hard to get really great ones without a million camera. Good Job.👍