FFP vs….

All my scopes are now SFP. I bought one FFP scope and sold it after it first hunt....could not see the reticle at low power. A SFP scope reticle can be used at any power if you can multiply or divide in your head,

I have both, and like both for different missions. I have Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x56 SFP's for my hunting rifles and Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 FFP's for my "battle rifles". I generally like to dial my long range shots and not do a hold over when hunting, so I like a constant size crosshairs whether I'm shooting close at 50 yards at 5.5 power or 750 yards at 25 power. At low light, typical of hunting shots, I find the small FFP reticle at low power for closer shots unusable. I don't rush a shot while hunting. Too much at stake to go wrong with rushing. For my self defense or battle rifles or my extreme long range rifles I use FFP for rapid engagement at widely varying ranges. But I find I'm always at 10 or 12 power or higher to make the reticle usable. All of my reticle's are illuminated and I have great 20/10 vision. I find myself generally preferring SFP better.

I like FFP over SFP with the pure fact if and when in the heat of the moment I need to hold for wind or elevation for a long range shot I do not have to remember to move the power setting to the appropriate setting to use the reticle.

It is not simply a black and white matter of one is good and one is bad when it comes to FFP vs SFP. I am a big fan of FFP, but not all reticles are created equal, and scope magnification ranges play a big part in the usefulness of an FFP reticle.

Been running ffp last 12 years.Its what I like,from point blank to way out is where I shoot.

I just wanted to show one that I'm particularly happy with….It is the Tract Toric 4-20x
Looks like a solid option, I love floating dots. You say you'd run 8-10 power at 300, I'd be at 15, lol
I only have one 2nd focal scope left, on a 10-22.
If my shooting was for the sole purpose of hunting, I wouldn't mess with 1st focal or Mil scopes. Dial turrets for both elevation and windage would be a must, more for dog towns though.

Me: FFP needs illuminated reticle. A low powers tiny. At max power, reticle might block out tiny targets. The more I get into this stuff the more I like fixed power scopes; I can do most everything with a 16X, except short range, 50 yards or less.

Good photos - like!

I believe it all boils down to what the individual feels comfortable with. I've always owned SFP scopes and for my purposes they work well. Granted that I am not competing at long range and most of my hunting is in the eastern woods. If I am in a position for a moderately long range shot, I'm going to crank the zoom to max and the hold overs will be accurate. I also do not like the weight tax on most FFP scopes.

The bottom line for me is to know your scope; pick the proper scope for your intended purpose/application. As previously noted, not all reticles (SFP or FFP) are created equal. I have heard people complain about the FFP reticle being too small at low magnification or too big (it covers the target). Illumination is a plus, but I have a couple of FFP scopes that do well without illumination. Below is an E1 varmint reticle in my 4-20 Burris Veracity,

Burriis Veracity 4-20 E1 FFP reticle.jpg