Ffp question

Left Hand Dave

For anyone over 50 at what power does the reticle in your FFP scope get hard to see. I watched a video and it looked like it got hard to see as the power was turned down. I am thinking of a power range around 5-25 with say something like a MOAR-T type reticle.

Thanks
Dave

I'm over 65 but have decent eyesight. My 5x25 NF ATACR F1 with a MIL-R gets difficult to see .1MIL divisions at 10-12x, and I can forget 5-7x. At that power range it's like using a course reticle....which is the general idea. I wouldn't expect it to be much different with an MOAR-T.
Having said that, this scope works superbly for PRS competition where I'm rarely shooting below 10X.

Dave, at lowest power you have to consider the reticle to be like a duplex reticle. The thicker outer bars will be easily visible and the reticle itself will be very fine in the middle. A little illumination may help. Usually, i will adjust my scope to the same magnification as my binoculars (7x) so that if I spot a coyote at dusk with my binos, then I can pick it up in the scope with as similar a scale and field of view as possible. The binos with 2 occulars have better light gathering than my scope and its easier and safer to scan with than a rifle....

Once i have picked up the coyote, which is usually moving at a trot, then I will dial up higher to reduce the fov. I find that at half power 10x for my scope, i can use the reticle fine. If I had a higher magnification scope, the lowest magnification for the reticle would be raised, which may not be a good thing.

For anyone over 50 at what power does the reticle in your FFP scope get hard to see. I watched a video and it looked like it got hard to see as the power was turned down. I am thinking of a power range around 5-25 with say something like a MOAR-T type reticle.

Thanks
Dave

I really appreciate the info so far and would like to thank everyone for the replies. I am looking at the ATACR in 5-25 SFP. When I looked at the video of the FFP scope it kind of bothered my eyes. I know it's not the same as looking through the scope but it felt uncomfortable because there was something there I couldn't see well. I think it is a psychological thing. With the MOAR-T I can always turn the scope down half way and it just doubles the reticle to two MOA. Then I still have a good view of the reticle. There are a couple places that have the scope for a little over $2300 I think that is the best price I have seen. Even at that price it is more than I have ever spent on something that wasn't for the house or I could drive so this is a huge decision. I see guys on here that have two, three or more scopes of this price or more and think I really made bad career decisions.

If you are sure you need the magnification, and are less likely to need to use the reticle for holdover, then go ahead and get the SFP scope.

The use you have planned for the rifle will very much dictate the kind of scope which will work best for you.

If you are using the scope for hunting I think it would be wise to consider the SFP. While I prefer to use my FFP/ATACR for competition, I find that my SFP ATAC-R is preferable for hunting. I agree that it's easy enough to double up the values at half power.

hey i'm a lefty dave also! i think ffp is the best just because you don't need to think about where your magnification is and thus what your adjusted holdovers (wind and/or elevation) need to be. no on-the-fly math. but the key is getting a scope with the magnification you will use. if you get a 4.5-27 and never get above 18x, you will have a smaller reticle to see. but if you get a 3-18 and keep it at 12-18x, you will have a decent size reticle to see.

all that said i've used sfp's for years and they've worked great for me, including many PRS matches. just have to keep track of where your magnification is and what the reticle lines mean at that x. and to the extent you dial, it is irrelevant.

I would like to thank everyone for all the help. I ordered the scope a ATACR, SFP with MOAR-T. I can't believe I spent this much on a scope but I have always wanted a really nice scope and one that I could count on the tracking and return to zero. I am sure once I get to start using it spending the money won't be so bad.

No with a 34mm tube who makes good rings? What do you all think of XLR rings?

Dave

I've been using FFP for hunting for a few years now and am quite happy with it. At low mag the heavy bars are great for quick shots when they happen, and for judging antlers or anything else I need to size up I can dial the mag up until I have the needed details.

I like Warne rings and rails. Not crazy overpriced like a lot of others and made of steel.

I would like to thank everyone for all the help. I ordered the scope a ATACR, SFP with MOAR-T. I can't believe I spent this much on a scope but I have always wanted a really nice scope and one that I could count on the tracking and return to zero. I am sure once I get to start using it spending the money won't be so bad.

No with a 34mm tube who makes good rings? What do you all think of XLR rings?

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.