Question About Reticle size in FFP Scopes

Left Hand Dave

If you have two FFP scopes from the same manufacturer with the same reticle but different power ranges or different models will the reticle be the same size on the same power setting? For instance, will a MOAR reticle in a ATACR 4-16 be the same size at 15 power as the reticle in a 5-25 ATACR on 15 power? Or does it change because of the difference in the overall power range of the two scopes?

It's different per manufacture.

It's important to read the manual and look at the reticle subtensions to make sure it's not different.

Other than that in theory and assuming that there isn't a variance if error in the etching, the subtensions of the reticle should not be different because of magnification. .1 thick reticle is still .1 thick regardless of magnification.

If you have two FFP scopes from the same manufacturer with the same reticle but different power ranges or different models will the reticle be the same size on the same power setting? For instance, will a MOAR reticle in a ATACR 4-16 be the same size at 15 power as the reticle in a 5-25 ATACR on 15 power? Or does it change because of the difference in the overall power range of the two scopes?

When in doubt, go directly to the source (https://www.nightforceoptics.com/support/contact).

If the field of view is the same, the reticle size should appear the same.

An FFP scope's advantage is that the reticle markings represent the same angular distance regardless of power so the view between two scopes at the same magnification should be very similar.

If one scope has a wider field of view the reticle may appear smaller because it's taking up a smaller percentage of the field.

Not everything on here is speculation.

An example is I could just given the answer which is that the difference between the two scopes mentioned by the OP is reticle thickness. Because that is the difference.
Reticle thickness on the 16 is .150 Mo and x25 is .125 moa with the MOAR reticle.
This is for a more useful reticle at higher magnification. .150 or .125 doesn't change on magnification since it's a FFP but the difference between the two similar scopes ARE different in size. That's a fact.

However giving the answer away doesn't help understanding how to get the answer. Getting the manual or talking to the manufacture and the subtensions is the individuals job for research.

Not everything on here is speculation.

An example is I could just given the answer which is that the difference between the two scopes mentioned by the OP is reticle thickness. Because that is the difference.
Reticle thickness on the 16 is .150 Mo and x25 is .125 moa with the MOAR reticle.
This is for a more useful reticle at higher magnification. .150 or .125 doesn't change on magnification since it's a FFP but the difference between the two similar scopes ARE different in size. That's a fact.

However giving the answer away doesn't help understanding how to get the answer. Getting the manual or talking to the manufacture and the subtensions is the individuals job for research.
This ^^^ is part of what I was looking for. I have done some research to find the scope that will do what I want it to and look as close to the way I want it to. It will be a trade off because no one designed a scope just for me. I will still need to ask The manufacturers some questions but this helps. I don't expect to always get the complete answer to my questions. Sometimes just a nudge in the right direction. Sometimes I miss the tree for the forest and just need level set. I appreciate everyone's response.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.