FFL charges

Handymike

Recently I purchased a rifle from a member here on the LRH Forum. The member sent it to my FFL and I needed to file new registration with the government. My FFL charged me $25 to accept the rifle from the seller and another $100 to process the paperwork. Is this a fair amount, not complaining, just curious?
Mike

Is this in cali? I could certainly understand charging more there with how much hassle it would be

I gave a rifle to my nephew in a different state, had to pay $70 registration/ transfer also. Think that's standard procedure for transfer on a used firearm. When I purchase a new firearm my FFL just charges $20.

Transfer fees vary widely - had a local guy do them for $15, but unfortunately he passed away. Now the lowest I've found locally is $45. Best to call ahead so you don't get that surprise high amount.

I paid used to pay $20. The guy I go to now charges $25. For a simple sign in to the bound book, NICS check, sign out $125 is insane to me. If your state requires more it might make sense, but that's on par with NFA transfers here.

most of the guys by me want nothing with personal transfers and the few that will are just as bad $80-$100.

About 15 -20 years ago it was $25-$35 for a transfer at most Gun Shops. Depending on the transfer can take some time. We do it for free even though it cost a lot to keep an FFL. We don't typically do it for anyone, since we are a small business with a core group of customers.
That $125 is not a fair price.

Last edited:
Seems pretty close for cali.
Think the last one I did was close to that maybe 100 total.
I'm pretty sure 37 or so goes to the state for background and what not then the ffl has to make some money on the deal since they are not making anything because they didn't sell you the gun. I'm pretty sure they can charge what they want too as long as they don't represent the fee as coming from the state. I could be wrong tho.

Yep! If you are in Ventura county and dealing with a LGS (name withheld) that is the going price. I know because that is what I had to pay.

Well to add on our last post. Since we are an FFL our business is listed with address and phone. About two months ago I had a person call me and ask what I would charge him to have a new rifle sent from a Retailer and process it for him. I asked him if he had a CCW License, current DL and or any issues with filling out a 4473 form and where he lived. He told me he did have a GA CCW Permit, current DL, no issues with filling out a 4473 and that he lived relatively close to us.
I told him since he was almost a neighbor that we would do it for free and that in the future he might use us to do some GS work. He said great.
He just needed to have the rifle seller contact us so we could get their information and they get our info to start the transfer.
Well, I waited two weeks and called him back and asked if he was still purchasing the rifle and wanted us to do the transfer. He said that he already did the transfer at a Pawn Shop because he didn't think we were legal and might be scamming him since we were going to give give "Free" transfer service.
We are on the FFL Registry and the Retailer should not send the firearm to us or anyone without our FFL and information.
Sometimes you have to charge people for services and if it states "Free" there is no value associated.
We have sent bullets, brass & components to a lot of people we know and on LRH for FREE. It amazes me that when we sent components to some people, for FREE and FREE shipping, they never even sent a reply or thank you.

Recently I purchased a rifle from a member here on the LRH Forum. The member sent it to my FFL and I needed to file new registration with the government. My FFL charged me $25 to accept the rifle from the seller and another $100 to process the paperwork. Is this a fair amount, not complaining, just curious?
Mike
Mine charges $20.