Few Things. Impress Me - This does!!!!

royinidaho

Went to the monthly "dinner club" Dinner and games was conducted in one couple's trophy room.

Its always enjoyable for the "guys" when the shindig is held at Jim's.

Topic this evening was the Brown bear that he "harvested" on Kodiac Island two weeks ago.

The story was typical, 11 days of rain, no takeable bear up to 6:30 pm on the last day. Then a settle-for 9 footer is spotted by the guide. Jim says. "what about that one over there". All eyes look that direction. The guides helper throws down her pack. The guide throws his pack on top. Jim gets into shooting position. Shooting up hill. Only a small window of shot opportunity. The bear is at 250 yards. Rifle is a custom 300 WSM shooting 180 gr Accubonds @ 3000 FPS. (Though not a long range shooter but Jim shoots a bunch, knows his rifles, and works up drop charts and has a room full of trophies that show his proficiency. Especially the Cape Buff that died within 10 feet of him and of all the shooters throwing lead at it his were the only hits. So as the song say "Don't mess with Jim")

The bear steps into the narrow opening. The bear doesn't stop. Jim follows it with the reticle, selects the proper lead, pretty much on the shoulder expecting to hit just behind the shoulder. Bang - woomp...and the bear walks into the Alders.

Bear went maybe 40 yards, just enough to make the next few minutes very anxious.

When the bear was found the guides went wild with hollering and yelling. Jim had heard this before. YOU GOT A BIG ONE. That one was a 6 1/2 footer and is hanging on his wall. He hadn't got a good look at the bear before or during the shot and didn't know what to expect.

The pics pretty much tell the size. At least 10 1/2 feet. Bear number 98 taken so far this spring and the general consensus is that its the biggest.

The 180 gr Accubond was recovered from under the hide on the far side. The small entrance wound and no exit wound is what made the stroll in the Alders exciting.

I saw the bullet. It performed perfectly. Mushroomed about 1/2 way back or maybe a little less and retained a major portion of its weight.

Jim was boiling the bullet to clean it up. Well,,,,,,,as Jim's do;), he let the pot boil dry and the lead melted out. Nevertheless she sure looked good. I'd give very high marks to the accubond.

In the pic, note the paint job on the rifle. This is the second stock painted by Jim's son. My stock, "Pink" was the first. He sure did a better job on dad's rifle and most probably for free.:rolleyes:

The-Bear.jpg

The-Hide.jpg

WOW I dont know anything about bears....but that looks really big.....kinda like jurassic teddy.

Wow!! Sometimes it just works!! A lot of hunters would not have been able to get on that bear and make that shot.

Knowing your rifle and practicing a lot sure helps...............

Bob

Holy S...!!!!:eek: That's one BIG BEAR. I don't know if I would have had the balls to go into the alders after him, even having a good gut feeling that the shot was good.

Congrats to Jim!!!!!

years ago I shot a bear in bear meadows of pennsylvania. might be as big as the leg of the bear that is shown here and with a relatively puny rifle. Shows talent and understanding the rifle. I am truly impressed. If it were me, I would have used at least a 340 weatherby but I am a bit biased these days.

bob chronister

I think it's a good thing he didn't get a good look at it before the shot, It might have reminded him of a movie quote. " I think we're gunna need a bigger boat":eek:

WOW!!!! WOW!!!!!

If I could shoot one that size I bet I could even get the wife to lay nekid on it!! Yeah----Fat Chance-----BUT I WOULD!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.