Fellas, this one kinda hurt.

I was in and out the shop today kind of watching an auction site I frequent for this one particular item and I missed it by seconds. I'm feeling a little mad at myself, what say you?View attachment 366326
The real question is would the buyer have kept the bidding going and what ever it sold for add another $100 for shipping auction fees taxes and an FFL transfer but that is a good price.

I paid $1000 for a Ruger #1 in 6mm with no scope about 12 years ago, it's a fairly rare bird and I don't regret the price but like you guys I like a steal, I still have a Reminton 700 Varmit in 243 Win that I got at a gun show in 1975 I believe, traded a Spainish double 20 guage a that I had $150 invested in plus $50 boot, total of $200.

Held a Model 99 Savage in my hands in 1972. Guy wanted I think about a hundred dollars for it. Didn't buy it. Have never seen another one. Eighteen years old and not very smart. Still kick myself.
I just purchased a 300 sav. cal. 99 Savage featherweight 1965 mfg. from an all black powder shop looks practically new, still had the factory anti-rust agent on it and had an old Bushnell 3x9x32 scope with weaver rings installed that also looks new, Shop owner said they got it in a estate lot purchase and just wanted to move it out , I bought it for $325.00 out the door no tax, laughed all the home and still can't believe I got it so cheap, 😂😂😂😂😂
Held a Model 99 Savage in my hands in 1972. Guy wanted I think about a hundred dollars for it. Didn't buy it. Have never seen another one. Eighteen years old and not very smart. Still kick myself.

There will be other deals come along…but that was a great deal. Try to substitute the memory of this one with some other great deal you made. Every time you think about this one.
Yeah, like, this one time you know, I was at the gas station and I bought a large coffee but the teenager working the till only charged me for a medium! 🤣

Recently I was on Gun Broker and came across an 1895 Marlin (1976 vintage) in 45-70. One of the guys who I bear hunt with was looking for a vintage one and I told him about it. The starting bid was $1100, there was only 6 hours left on the auction, and....there we not any bidders. I suspect that there are some 1895 Marlin lovers on aficionados on here, $1100 is a bit pricey, however today at $1100 really is not that bad of a price tag, and....with the exception of some dings and scratches in the stock the bluing was in excellent condition with only a few blemishes on the receiver. We both kept watching the auction right up to the last hour, and still not bidders, so I told the guy to put the $1100 starting bid in. It went right to the wire and no one bid on the gun so he got the rifle for $1100. I've seen these rifles go for as high at $1600-1800. As for this rifle it is going to be a shooter/hunter, he's going to put a recoil pad on the rifle and I like refinishing the wood so it was a great bargain. As one of the members who replied stated, he's seen auctions run right up to the end and then the bidding goes out of sight, which in my opinion is stupid bidding because the testosterone kicks in, one-up-man-ship takes over common sense and a $600 rifle ends up selling for $900 or more.

Sorry to read that this one slipped by you. For me when something like this happens I write it off as, "Things happen for a reason and this one was not meant to be!!!" This philosophy has helped me through more that one missed deal.

Forget about the one that got away! I wasn't meant to be?

I have had this happen so many times at action. You are either in or not. If you really want something at auction you will bid on it. I set a maximum price that I am willing to pay and bid to that price. I have won many auctions and lost? I have never regretted losing and cherish my wins. They were meant to be.

Now I have many many seller regrets over my years. I would so love to have back a few that I sold off, but again I can't cry over spilt milk!

My one sellers reget that I cannot forget is a red recoil pad flat bolt Ruger 77 RSI in 308 Winchester!!! I sold it to my nieces husband at the time (now ex husband twice removed). I would have that gun back. I have never seen another another one. That is my one that got away story 🤯

I just purchased a 300 sav. cal. 99 Savage featherweight 1965 mfg. from an all black powder shop looks practically new, still had the factory anti-rust agent on it and had an old Bushnell 3x9x32 scope with weaver rings installed that also looks new, Shop owner said they got it in a estate lot purchase and just wanted to move it out , I bought it for $325.00 out the door no tax, laughed all the home and still can't believe I got it so cheap, 😂😂😂😂😂
The past has passed. we have to move on. This is true with all things. good fortunes in the future.
The Ruger # 1s are great rifles my 7 mag would not shoot until I floated the for-end by shimming , but that fella got a good deal , There's a old saying every now and again a blind hog finds a acorn especially in the gun world . I'm going too a West Tx gun show in June , maybe I'll get lucky might be a lot of old hand me downs there.

I think we all have one or two of these stories/situations in our past... but then again we tend to have one or two "absolute steals" in our past as well. Seems we don't remember these the same... Hopefully next time you are able to get the deal done.
Well said.