Feeding problem with WBY MK V

I have an old MK V Weatherby originally in .240wby but with a new Lothar Walter barrel in .270 win. Shoots great byt once in a while the bullet get stuck on the back plane of the barrel in stead of sliding in to the chamber. Any suggestions what to try? Can I adjust the lips of the mag to change the way it releases the cartidge?
All tips appreciated! Thanks!

I'm having trouble understanding how the cartridge is getting bound up. Can you post a picture of the jam?

Mark 5's feed a little different than most other guns. It's nothing to do with the feed lips. Who did the work?

What he said.

Did you/the smith change the magazine box?

Weatherby's feed based on the magazine box, not by "feed lips" like Remington.

A call to Weatherby could net you a 30-06/270Win mag box and solve your problems.

The 240 box should work fine. The feeding issue after rebarrel is due to lack of knowledge on how the entry to chamber is prepared. It can not be done like a Remington. It's an easy fix for a proper Weatherby smith.

The 240 box should work fine. The feeding issue after rebarrel is due to lack of knowledge on how the entry to chamber is prepared. It can not be done like a Remington. It's an easy fix for a proper Weatherby smith.

Ahh. That is much better. I thought you were on some other tack.

I contacted previous owner and apparently the gun was originally in .300wby and changed to .240wby and then to .270win. So it is a 9-lug system with a modified Magazine to handle the shorter ammo. I tried to post a pic. of the jam but my computer skills were not good enough to do it. (tips appreciated) but I did bend up the lips in the front of the mag, ever so Little and it made things considerable better. Now I get a jam on approx 100 reloads in stead of every 4-5 as Before.

I contacted previous owner and apparently the gun was originally in .300wby and changed to .240wby and then to .270win. So it is a 9-lug system with a modified Magazine to handle the shorter ammo. I tried to post a pic. of the jam but my computer skills were not good enough to do it. (tips appreciated) but I did bend up the lips in the front of the mag, ever so Little and it made things considerable better. Now I get a jam on approx 100 reloads in stead of every 4-5 as Before.

Contact Weatherby and ask for a mag for the current cartridge. The mags are cheep and Weatherby should have no problem letting you have the correct Mag to make your rifle perform better. (Some parts require a smith to install. but this is not one of them)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.