Feedback on 300 WM factory ammo brass

Hunter26

So I have been reloading for a little while but just now getting more serious and diving into
the details to gain accuracy and consistency. In my recent reloading I have purchased new brass and started from there. However, I am going to work up a load for my uncles 300 wm with brass that he has collected over the years and I have a few things I would some advice. My goal is to get him the most accurate ammo as possible and at least sub moa. I know the ammo isn't the only factor but currently his rifle shoots one inch with the factory load he uses.

1. Is it an issue to reload nickel plated brass? Does it require anything special?

2. I know people recommend getting your components from the same lot but is it a big deal if I take the time to weight it out? Or is that even necessary?

3. Any idea how many reloads I could expect out of this brass?

4. He has enough Winchester, Remington and nickel plates Federal brass to get him more than started in any one brand. Any type of brass clearly superior to the others? All brass is once fired out of his rifle.

Thanks!

I do not reload nickel plated brass, it is too hard and will scratch your die.
I also do not load ANY Federal brass. Period.
For hunting purposes, keep all brands separate. Only load/test one brand, do not mix headstamps.
I have always liked Winchester first and foremost, but recent lots have been sub par. If the Winnie brass is older stuff, then it should be good to go.
Remington brass has always been consistent for me, and I am using it, once prepped, for my Hunter Series comp at the moment in a Rem 700 Sendero II in 300WM. It has a Jewell, PT&G bottom metal and bedded by me. So far is printing the Nosler CC 200gr into 1/4MoA @ 600mtr.
Very impressed with it.
I am also using another custom rifle, Rem 700 blueprinted action, 29" 1:8" twist 264WM, with Nosler RDF 140gr, surprisingly shoots very well at .050" off or jammed .005".
I'm liking this Hunter series comp, it gives me a break from F-class and keeps my skills up for hunting positions.
Need a new shooting mat though, have worn through the elbow padding, maybe I could get it repaired? Not sure.
For F-class, I like Norma and ADG brass.

Cheers.

i wouldnt use the nickle plated either

remington are the ones id use

id try optimal charge weight .. in half grains powder up .. weight sort your bullet and be very exact with you powder weights .. should beat an 1"

I've got nickel plated Winchester and Federal once fired brass in 300 WM and 270 WSM I reload. I've not had any issues yet, but I'm also on my third firing on the 270 WSM and I think my primer pockets will go before anything else.

So I have been reloading for a little while but just now getting more serious and diving into
the details to gain accuracy and consistency. In my recent reloading I have purchased new brass and started from there. However, I am going to work up a load for my uncles 300 wm with brass that he has collected over the years and I have a few things I would some advice. My goal is to get him the most accurate ammo as possible and at least sub moa. I know the ammo isn't the only factor but currently his rifle shoots one inch with the factory load he uses.

1. Is it an issue to reload nickel plated brass? Does it require anything special?

2. I know people recommend getting your components from the same lot but is it a big deal if I take the time to weight it out? Or is that even necessary?

3. Any idea how many reloads I could expect out of this brass?

4. He has enough Winchester, Remington and nickel plates Federal brass to get him more than started in any one brand. Any type of brass clearly superior to the others? All brass is once fired out of his rifle.

Thanks!
buy new quality brass of the same lot and build your foundation from that starting point. Different weight, neck thickness, and metal stiffness of each brass will cause you a head ach if you are looking for consistency in shooting.
buy 100 pieces of high quality brass and shoot the life of that gun.
save the other brass for emergency situation.
my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.