Federal 308 Win Range brass. Consistent!!

MOOSE39465

571A50E3-235D-469F-AC63-1532307638AF.jpeg

A couple years ago I bought a bunch of once fired 308 Winchester, and 243 Winchester Federal range brass
I couldn't pass up 15.00 dollars for a hundred pieces, but after reading about how inconsistent once fired brass is I put it away and bought new brass.
Well Yesterday I decided to give my new case annealer and try, and just see how consistent I can make this brass. After all of the case preparation was completed I was amazed that out of 100 piece of brass I never seen more then a thousands difference in head space.
I also measured the diameter of the case and noticed it to be more consistent then new hornady brass.
I learned a good lesson today that range brass can be very consistent if you spent time prepping it properly.

People that look down on using once fired factory loads/brass are either very misinformed or snobs. I have used range brass I picked up at the range, and once fired brass bought from others and never had a moments problem with it. FL size it to make sure it will fit your chamber, fire it in your gun and it is fire formed to your chamber, no different than virgin brass off the shelf. There is WAY too much repetition of internet nonsense and not near enough people trying stuff for themselves so they can clearly evaluate the outcome. Glad to see you took the independent route. Look at the amount of money you will save not paying new price for brass.

Last edited:
For over 10 years I have used once fired LC brass including machine gun brass and never had an issue. I have also used some FC once fired a few times with no issues. The typical complaint with FC is primer pockets growing. I have shot the FC 3 or 4 times measuring pocket growth and have not seen any. That's shooting 308W, ~43 gr IMR4064 and 168 SMK.

People that look down on using once fired factory loads/brass are either very misinformed or snobs. I have used range brass, once fired brass bought from others and never had a moments problem with it. FL size it to make sure it will fit your chamber, fire it in your gun and it is fire formed to your chamber, no different than virgin brass off the shelf. There is WAY too much repetition of internet nonsense and not near enough people trying stuff for themselves so they can clearly evaluate the outcome. Glad to see you took the indepandant route. Look at the amount of money you will save not paying new price for brass.
Moving forward I will start doing more independent thinking.

If the once fired range brass was fired from the same gun, or at least from different guns reamed with the same reamer - I can see how the dimensions you checked would be better than new brass prior to any prep.

The issue with range brass is this is generally not the case. Also you never know if you're going to get more than 1X or brass shot in a gun with excessive headspace which takes you down an eventual case head separation issue sooner.

Also if you're going through detailed preparation steps, I don't see why you are amazed that you couldn't get them all same. It just takes more work.

Good luck with the brass. Let us know how those Federal primer pockets hold up.

And for the record, I shoot all kinds of brass, but mostly Winchester, R&P, Hornady, Federal, Starline, and the occasional Nosler and Norma. Never Lapua or Peterson.

My brass is only new if it came from a factory load I bought. Otherwise it's once (or more) fired from somebody I bought them from, picked up at the range, or was given to me. About 5% of the time I get burned. (I.e. shot with excess headspace, trimmed way to short, size too much for my chamber, etc.)

Last edited:
If the once fired range brass was fired from the same gun, or at least from different guns reamed with the same reamer - I can see how the dimensions you checked would be better than new brass prior to any prep.

The issue with range brass is this is generally not the case. Also you never know if you're going to get more than 1X or brass shot in a gun with excessive headspace which takes you down an eventual case head separation issue sooner.

Also if you're going through detailed preparation steps, I don't see why you are amazed that you couldn't get them all same. It just takes more work.

Good luck with the brass. Let us know how those Federal primer pockets hold up.

And for the record, I shoot all kinds of brass, but mostly Winchester, R&P, Hornady, Federal, Starline, and the occasional Nosler and Norma. Never Lapua or Peterson.

My brass isonly new if it came from a factory load I bought. Otherwise it's once (or more) fired from somebody I bought them from, picked up at the range, or was given to me. About 5% of the time I get burned. (I.e. shot with excess headspace, trimmed way to short, size too much for my chamber, etc.)
I was always told not to shoot brass that has been fired from a different rifle. Never checking out this for myself I was always under the impression range brass was junk. Now knowing that's not the case. That's where the amazement came from.