Federal 210 Primers Not firing

RockyRandy

I wanted to ask and see if anybody else has a problem with federal 210 rifle primers not firing. I'm using them on a 6.5 PRC. I have put them back in the chamber and tried to fire them a second time with the same results. They have a good solid dent in them as well. I would throw them away and by a different brand but I just a brick of 1000.

I would contact Federal and tell them your problem. They should replace them. To rule out a rifle or loading snafu try some other primers just to be sure.

I just bought 2000 Federal GMM210. I had two misfires Iin the first four shots with my brand new CA in 6.5 PRC. They also go in the primer pocket EXTREMELY DIFFICULT! Big dents and careful attention paid to seating depth. Going to try Winchester's and cci's today.

I seriously doubt it's an issue with primers.
It's either case head spacing, primer seating/pocket spacing, or mis-adjusted striking.

+1 on this. I never had one misfire in several gun with Federal primers over my 30+ years of reloading. Federal primers ignite much quicker than other brand - that's why the ordinary brand of Federal is not recommended for semi-auto rifles (slam-fire). I would say that you probably sized the cases too much and that causes a head space problem. Try to bump back the shoulders of the cases not more than 0.002". Turn your seater die out with at least one turn and see what is happening.

I concur, but it doesn't explain once fired factory brass is almost impossible to physically seat the primer, does it?
If the primers are extremely hard to seat, do not force it. Buy a primer pocket uniforming tool and fix the primer pocket itself. Should never have any dents on a newly seated primer. Uniforming the pockets will ensure consistant seating depths and smoother installation as well. I encountered this with some new Norma Weatherby brass once.

I've had 7 misfires in the last 4 trips to the range with 210's. I load about 200rds a week and I'm worried I won't find out more till it's an important shot. I think these may have gotten wet in shipping at some point. I have cci's and wlr's in non magnum with Rem and CCI's for mag primers. I know it is primers and not light strikes because I tried wolf primers from some older stuff I wanted to shoot up without issue. They have about the hardest cup of any available.
Same thing big dents and 2 times.

How old is the action and firing pin spring? Most people overlook the spring and especially if the action was modified. I have had to replace several springs in older actions and problems are solved. Never had a federal not fire unless was due to the spring personally. I have about 15000 210's and 15000 215's left, all same lots and have shot roughly 5000 of each in the past few years.

How old is the action and firing pin spring? Most people overlook the spring and especially if the action was modified. I have had to replace several springs in older actions and problems are solved. Never had a federal not fire unless was due to the spring personally. I have about 15000 210's and 15000 215's left, all same lots and have shot roughly 5000 of each in the past few years.
In my case i have new chrome silicon springs in each rifle. That is why i think they may have gotten wet.

I wanted to ask and see if anybody else has a problem with federal 210 rifle primers not firing. I'm using them on a 6.5 PRC. I have put them back in the chamber and tried to fire them a second time with the same results. They have a good solid dent in them as well. I would throw them away and by a different brand but I just a brick of 1000.
Yes I did I use only cci and Winchester

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.