FAT Wrench

midmo

does anyone know where to get a more bits other than the ones included with the fat wrench that wheeler engineering makes? i am not looking to spend 60 bucks on the big sets.

I bought a set of several tips from Klein tools, and promptly had one of the Torx bits strip on me when tightening a scope ring.

I then bought a set of tips and a ratcheting screwdriver from Mac Tools. These tips are FAR nicer and have zero issues at all with regard to quality. I just wish that the straight slot tips were a bit thinner, but I borrow from another set for that.

In the end, you will get what you pay for.

Wheeler sells individual replacement bits for their screwdrivers and torque wrench. I've had good experience with them. The selection is huge.

Go to the Battenfield Technologies website and drill down to the replacement bits on the Wheeler site. I've been able to order almost everything I need online. Oddly enough, they do not sell a 3 mm Allen bit, which is sometimes found on rings. you'll have to Google for that.

FYI, my first screwdriver set was (is) a Wheeler. A couple of the tips there also started to strip. The Mac Tools tips are my 4th set of tips that finally don't start to strip. I have a few oddball tips from SnapOn that I inherited, and those also work well.

And no, I'm not tightening them excessively, only to spec. Cheap tips will just fail on you.

FYI, my first screwdriver set was (is) a Wheeler. A couple of the tips there also started to strip. The Mac Tools tips are my 4th set of tips that finally don't start to strip. I have a few oddball tips from SnapOn that I inherited, and those also work well.

And no, I'm not tightening them excessively, only to spec. Cheap tips will just fail on you.

I had a Wheeler Torx bit twist and crumble the tip end on me. I ended up having to drill out the screws that held the rail down. I now use some Craftsman tips...and also some from Snap-On I think????

Unfortunately, Wheeler sells an entry level Space Saver screwdriver kit that is intended for light duty only. The bits in this kit are not the same quality as the ones they sell in other kits or as replacements. I haven't had a problem using the FAT Wrench bits (not one has broken after two years of regular use).

I would be interested to know if anyone has had problems with the Professional Gunsmith screwdriver or FAT Wrench bits.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.