Factory rifle vs custom build

So, I'll be that guy.

Buy a bergara in the configuration that you want, and you will come in under $2,500 and it will outshoot you. Oh, and you can start shooting it in a week or two. It will it will do anything you want it to, and you can use some of your budget for better glass, or other gear, or an extra week or two of dedicated hunting. There are other great high end factory rifles out there, (Weatherby, fierce, CA, and many more). With a custom, you'll be lucky to get it this year, and it's very likely to perform no better than the rifles mentioned above, and cost double+.

If you want ultimate control, find a local Smith, buy an excellent action, a barrel, stock and a trigger, and you will have a custom rifle without paying custom money..

I am leaning towards custom build. Only issue is timing. Last builder I spoke to estimated December timeframe due to components.
This is why I purchase the components myself to control the stovepipe of awaiting parts issue. If you have the components on hand, you will cut that wait time by at least half, if not more.

If you have other rifles and are buying a 300 PRC just because you're worried about bear, I'd skip straight to a .375, H&H or Ruger. Ammo available all day long even at sportsman's here in Anchorage. Save the PRC project for a custom build once there's better ammo and component availability.

If you don't have other rifles for AK and are set on the PRC as your one gun, (which it would be great for) I'd agree with Feenix and say just get a Bergera or Christensen. I love my Ridgeline, it's a lot of gun for the money.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

If I do go custom other than R bros any recommendations.
Thanks for your help
Ryan
check out a post from Calfarmer Weatherby dangerous Game .460. He had a fantastic price on the gun with over 100 rounds of ammo and other accessories. If your concerned about bears this would be a marvelous buy. Please check it out.

I think a true custom really shines when you have very specific desires that can't be found in an "over-the-counter" rifle. Perhaps an odd-ball chambering, a specific throat or twist rate. Maybe 5R rifling or a carbon wrapped barrel. You want a specific trigger. A certain thickness recoil lug. A particular barrel profile or special fluting. Maybe you want a controlled feed action but hate the 3-position wing safety on the Win 70. Or you want titanium. You want a pinned lug or an integral scope rail. Certain bottom metal or magazine setup. A very particular stock design. And on and on it goes. I'm not really getting that vibe from your post, so pass for now.

If you just want a high end gun with more attention to detail paid to its assembly & with higher quality products used in its construction, you get a Cooper, Christensen, Fierce, etc. Maybe that's where your heart is at the moment? Again, wasn't really detecting that from the OP, but maybe?

If I am reading it right, a stainless Tikka T3x in .300 PRC would do you just perfect at the moment. It'll shoot 1 MOA or better, out of the box. Water impervious. Spare mags can be carried, but the mags are curved on the bottom & sit flush enough you can carry the rifle at its balance point when hunting. It is smooooth to work the bolt. They are reliable. The quality is there with fewer QC issues than other "name brand" rifles I will not name, so as to not alienate anyone, since that's not the point.

Maybe something like this would work?
if not that one, there are others to pick from here,

I'm all for a guy or gal spending what they want to get what they want. But if your must-haves are a bolt action in .300 PRC, the right factory rifle could make you really happy, saving you enough money to move up in scope quality, perhaps? Just a thought. Can't shoot what you can't see. Scope Lives Matter (SLM)!

For what its worth, I liked the .375 H&H suggestion, too, since you are roaming around Alaska. But a .300 PRC shoots flatter & kicks less. That's a plus. Probably feels a lot 'smaller' though when Mr. & Mrs. Kodiak Bruin enter your hunting zone looking serious about eating something? Maybe split the difference & consider a .338 Win Mag? Choices. Life is full of 'em.

If you have the money ($3000 - $5000) go custom. My custom builder guarantees 1/4 moa with premium factory ammo.
I have personal knowledge of 4 of his builds and they do what he promises!

The 300 PRC would be great for sheep and goat - hunting at ranges longer than you can reliably confirm rings on horns. I would however second AKBirder for the .375 H&H. Ammo availability even in good times is limited in boutique calibers. .375 HH (or the trusty 300wm) is on the shelf and available on multiple continents and can be reloaded if/when you're ready. .375 HH will take anything that walks in North America and you could spend as much as you'd like building a custom or go off the shelf w/a number of European makers that do beautiful work.

This is a 300 PRC a customer built that only wanted to shoot factory ammo. Full custom, well under 4k before optics, I'm not gonna get in the specifics, but it was a hot rod, 3100fps with a 200+ grain factory stuff. You are certainly welcome to PM me with questions, happy to share.

Attachments

• 20210208_223614.jpg
    20210208_223614.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts