Factory Rifle Choice Input/Opinons

mtnbum

I'm interested in buying a 6.5 CM.

I'm looking at the following rifles. I can buy the gun and have some money left for glass with Cabela's credit I've been saving for a while or buy the Ruger and use the Cabela's bucks for glass. Either way, I'm looking for input from folks who have shot, handled, or expereince with these rifles.

Cabela's Savage T10
Ruger Predator (medium contour 24" barrel, lam stock, 2 stage trigger, 8.1 lb)
Ruger target/tactical (heavy 26" barrel, lam stock, 2 stage trigger, 9.5 lb)

I will use this to hunt long range a few times a year on whitetails and to punch paper/ring steel frequently. I live close to an excellent 1000 yard range, but I never felt comfortable going with my normal woods/hunting rig.

Thanks for your input.

I can't speak for the savage but can for the American predator as well as the Ruger Precision. There is a reason I own both. American is topped with the Burris Eliminator for hunting and the Precision with a custom reticle Leupold for Target fun. Both are sub 1/2 MOA shooters. I would claim .25 MOA but no one would believe it. LOL

The stock on the predator had to go. I have it in the boys laminated thumbhole and absolutely love it.

Both are duracoated as the Ruger finish leaves a little to be desired in my humid environment.

I have two shooting buddies with the precision and one with the predator. Their results are the same. I shoot the 130AR hybrid berger in either as well as the 142 SMK and 140 SMK in the precision. All three bullets have sub 1/2 MOA loads.

It is super easy to load for. I have developed excellent loads with RE-17, Superformance, IMR4350, Varget, and H4350. RE-17 and H4350 get the nod for low ES and low Sd in both platforms. Varget is super accurate but a tad slow for my preference.

All guns mentioned have in fact shot groups in the teens on occasion.

I can't speak for the savage but can for the American predator as well as the Ruger Precision. There is a reason I own both. American is topped with the Burris Eliminator for hunting and the Precision with a custom reticle Leupold for Target fun. Both are sub 1/2 MOA shooters. I would claim .25 MOA but no one would believe it. LOL

The stock on the predator had to go. I have it in the boys laminated thumbhole and absolutely love it.

Both are duracoated as the Ruger finish leaves a little to be desired in my humid environment.

I have two shooting buddies with the precision and one with the predator. Their results are the same. I shoot the 130AR hybrid berger in either as well as the 142 SMK and 140 SMK in the precision. All three bullets have sub 1/2 MOA loads.

It is super easy to load for. I have developed excellent loads with RE-17, Superformance, IMR4350, Varget, and H4350. RE-17 and H4350 get the nod for low ES and low Sd in both platforms. Varget is super accurate but a tad slow for my preference.

All guns mentioned have in fact shot groups in the teens on occasion.
I've got a Ruger Hawkeye FTW in .260 that is a real tack drive and it's weight makes it real comfortable as a carry rifle. I have the Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger as well and it shoots well under MOA as well with several different loads.

They are both matte stainless finishes and so the finish isn't an issue with them.

I also have the Remington 5R Gen 2 in .260 and right out of the box it has been just ridiculously accurate even with factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.