Factory Bullet Recommendations for 6.5 Creedmoor

Barrel Break in is a myth. Doing Break in to improve the performance of a barrel is BS. Barrels always speed up and then slow down as you decrease the pressure and or increase the pressure from the barrel being worn down. You are confusing Break-in for a new barrel (taking out any imperfections, filling in the little spots with carbon or copper, taking out burrs, etc.. that's not the same as a barrel speeding up because of less friction.
Well with years on the forum it's pretty general consensus that break is is waiting for the barrel to settle on a speed usually around 100 rounds. A simple search function shows up threads for days documenting the fact. So let's go by your definition of it not being break in.

Let's call it barrel speeding up. Doesn't make it any less important. Hence why almost all people here don't start load work till after 100 rounds or what we most call break in for ease of explanation. I'd also add that I think that as shooters we should always look to those better than us to advance. That fact that almost all world class shooters break in barrels by your definition tells me it's not BS David tubbs seems to preach it. His record is pretty good. I don't think you will find someone who can out shoot him that would say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not just him but even broz here and other long range guys I respect do barrel break in and have some form of data to back it up.

True but I'll state it one more time. Max distance for hunting is much different than max for target. If the bullet had a min gps that it functions that distance is it's max. I push my hammers hard and my eld and Bergers. No competition when it comes to paper way out but in hunting the Berger and Hornady hit the min fps they will function only 30-40 yards farther in distance than my hammers. But they get significantly more drop at most hunting scenarios. Say 400 yards. Plus as a once big time bc chaser I can say I've take some large game with the creedmore betgers and Hornady are not even in the same ballpark as far as performance on big heavy game as the hammers
I never mentioned paper, steel or other non-living targets. So, I'll state this 1 more time..........................................the op is only asking for animals. Knowing there's enough terminal damage with which ever bullet (regardless of caliber) to get the job done. That can and will limit range, unless you want to shoot it multiple times?

I never mentioned paper, steel or other non-living targets. So, I'll state this 1 more time..........................................the op is only asking for animals. Knowing there's enough terminal damage with which ever bullet (regardless of caliber) to get the job done. That can and will limit range, unless you want to shoot it multiple times?
So if they all run out of speed to operate properly at roughly the same for hunting why would distance matter?
If the Hornady hits min fps to expand within max distance of say a Barnes 127gr what would the distance he was shooting matter? I may be reading your post wrong. The reason I mentioned paper is because distance definitely matters. Not sure I could reach 1k with a hammer. Perhaps that's why credmores get such a bad rap. People are reaching out farther than the bullet is capable of killing.nothing I said about where the bullets run out of fps to operate properly is false.
My question is if they both run out of speed at say 650yards. Why does the distance matter. Unless you were leading to if under 300 it doesn't really matter. To which I am in agreement with you.

So if they all run out of speed to operate properly at roughly the same for hunting why would distance matter?
If the Hornady hits min fps to expand within max distance of say a Barnes 127gr what would the distance he was shooting matter? I may be reading your post wrong. The reason I mentioned paper is because distance definitely matters. Not sure I could reach 1k with a hammer. Perhaps that's why credmores get such a bad rap. People are reaching out farther than the bullet is capable of killing.nothing I said about where the bullets run out of fps to operate properly is false.
My question is if they both run out of speed at say 650yards. Why does the distance matter. Unless you were leading to if under 300 it doesn't really matter. To which I am in agreement with you.
If they all run out of velocity at the same distance, then you know the limit.

Well with years on the forum it's pretty general consensus that break is is waiting for the barrel to settle on a speed usually around 100 rounds. A simple search function shows up threads for days documenting the fact. So let's go by your definition of it not being break in.

Let's call it barrel speeding up. Doesn't make it any less important. Hence why almost all people here don't start load work till after 100 rounds or what we most call break in for ease of explanation. I'd also add that I think that as shooters we should always look to those better than us to advance. That fact that almost all world class shooters break in barrels by your definition tells me it's not BS David tubbs seems to preach it. His record is pretty good. I don't think you will find someone who can out shoot him that would say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not just him but even broz here and other long range guys I respect do barrel break in and have some form of data to back it up.

I agree totally. Barrel break in isn't a myth. I believed that for a little while when it was a big thing but after starting several rifles by just shooting them vs a resonable break in, there is absolutely a difference. Keeping fouling to a minimum while the barrel fire laps and works out imperfections absolutely speeds up the process and makes the barrel smoother that cleans up easier and cleaner barrels are more consistent.

If they all run out of velocity at the same distance, then you know the limit.
Correct! I may very well misunderstood what you said. I was under the understanding you were asking his distance he planned to take game to recommend a certain bullet. Most people think that because you can get a bullet with very high bc that extends you hunting distance. Which it can in certain rifles but for the 6.5 it doesn't seem to do that.

Correct! I may very well misunderstood what you said. I was under the understanding you were asking his distance he planned to take game to recommend a certain bullet. Most people think that because you can get a bullet with very high bc that extends you hunting distance. Which it can in certain rifles but for the 6.5 it doesn't seem to do that.
Lighter bullets with higher velocities will have shorter ranges with equal ending energy as they bleed off faster. BC can be a pert of the issue, but not limited to.

Lighter bullets with higher velocities will have shorter ranges with equal ending energy as they bleed off faster. BC can be a pert of the issue, but not limited

It's a trade off start off slower with high bc or fast and bleed it off faster. Sometimes the faster starting velocity can get you farther distance to min operations of the bullet and sometimes the bc will win. Depends on several factors. That's why knowing you bullet and data are important

It's a trade off start off slower with high bc or fast and bleed it off faster. Sometimes the faster starting velocity can get you farther distance to min operations of the bullet and sometimes the bc will win. Depends on several factors. That's why knowing you bullet and data are important
Exactly

I agree totally. Barrel break in isn't a myth. I believed that for a little while when it was a big thing but after starting several rifles by just shooting them vs a resonable break in, there is absolutely a difference. Keeping fouling to a minimum while the barrel fire laps and works out imperfections absolutely speeds up the process and makes the barrel smoother that cleans up easier and cleaner barrels are more consistent.
It's all good to disagree, but there is no major evidence of it doing anything to a premium barrel. Of course if you get your mass produced rifles, you never know what you were going to get, kind of like a CA these days. Yes Tubbs does this, etc... again it's a different level, are we talking about Bench shooting or long range hunting?

Again, I'll reference what I said earlier, if it's a shooter it's a shooter, not because you broke it in. Cleaning it might be easier, but again is that because you have a good quality barrel to begin with or do you have a standard barrel... Once you clean it do you have to foul it out again to get it to perform? You shouldn't have to.

Even Frank, at Barlein, isn't convinced that Breaking in a barrel does anything. How often are you guys cleaning your barrels? I don't touch it until, the groups open up on it.

As for the speeding up, that's why an OCW test has a leg up on the old Ladder test you can test your loads at different velocities etc. that's not breaking in a barrel. If that were the case then all my barrels have been crud....

Well I'll have to disagree. All I was referencing is how a barrel speeds up after about 100 rounds nothing more. Call it break in or whatever you wanna call it. I have many time recorded gains in speed from first 10 shot to the 100th large enough gains to matter. Now if barrels don't need to be broken in and it's false. Say it's just filling spots in with copper. What about when one is to strip down the barrel to bare metal again. That fps gain is still there. It didn't go back to the original velocity it started at. I would say that is a break in. Either way barrels gain speed as they get rounds down it. So my point stands that he would be well served to get 100 rounds down it before getting serious with any ammo and drop charts. Call it break or or whatever you want.

And yet another thread goes down the tubes.
Did it? It may seem that way but as someone who is out to learn. He may not even know of the different subjects we talked about. Bullets or barrel break in.

I think back to when I built my first .257 weatherby. I asked questions and got straight forward responses. But without knowing I caused my tail with ammo and I would have definitely done something different.
Straight forward is not always the best and who's gonna start a thread just to start a disagreement? This is how we learn.