Exploding Bullets, a history lesson.

https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd3c93d177205966ef3d3c9d

A good video on some history I was unaware of. Kind of a myth busters thing, but well done I watched the whole 20 minutes anyway.

Very nice video; just for conversation sake, it would appear from the exit out of the gel... that the gel ( exit flash and smoke) they may have been to close, it looks like the round(s) need to slow down a bit to detonate in the gel. I'd say if they were shooting at 200 or plus yards they'd have a different out come in the wound impact. All in all the Russian ammo should be about 100 to 200 fps slower between the Russian issue 7.62x54R and the German 7.92x57mm perhaps that's why the Russian round got a little better performance in the test.

Just a thought.

Cheer's

Agree, a little more science would be nice, terminal velocity, accuracy potential, and more variations, but I'm guessing this stuff isn't readily available, and expensive, if current components are any indication.

I had never heard of it, and found it an interesting bit of trivia.

When someone says that bullet exploded in that critter, we now have a reference point! gun):D

Agree, a little more science would be nice, terminal velocity, accuracy potential, and more variations, but I'm guessing this stuff isn't readily available, and expensive, if current components are any indication.

I had never heard of it, and found it an interesting bit of trivia.

When someone says that bullet exploded in that critter, we now have a reference point! gun):D

Agreed, I have seen rounds like Raufoss Mk.211 Mod O used (training only) and they are more than impressive in a .50 cal rifle. Shot a couple of explosives rounds that I believe were made in Argentine for their military 7.65×53mm Argentine, as I recall, just shot them and watched them make smoke. Probably based on the German explosive round seeing how a lot of Germans found their way to Argentine after WW II

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.