Explain This Please

I don't claim to be an expert regarding Prong Horn anatomy, but for you guys who think he hit high, where is the white hair coming from? Or am I mistaken thinking the hair I see flying after impact is white?

Imo based on some extensive experience viewing video and live trace in the field at the range you engaged the target, the bullet did not hit where you believe it hit. The most telling evidence is the hair flying up and back off the top of the animal at impact as it's displaced by the bullet. It is also the most viable explanation that the animal reacted and survived the impact. I shot an antelope this year about where you think you did, slightly mor back and high, and the wound was devastating at 970 yards with a 7mm 175 elite hunter leaving the muzzle at 2760 FPS. It completely severed the spine with an exit wound 6" in diameter. The follow up was through the shoulder after a .3 mil wind correction and broke both shoulders. Also have it on videohere.

Everything becomes relative with bullet performance variations and miniscule impact location variations. If you've ever worked in trauma you'll know what I'm talking about. Freak things just happen.

EAQa
I don't claim to be an expert regarding Prong Horn anatomy, but for you guys who think he hit high, where is the white hair coming from? Or am I mistaken thinking the hair I see flying after impact is white?
thats what I was wondering...I def see white hair.
It has to be a "no man's land" hit. My buddy shot a nice buck yrs ago from a considerably closer distance. His .300wm cracked and the buck hit the ground and didn't so much as kick. He looked at the deer through his binocs and it was done....or so he thought.
My buddy took his time and climbed out of his tree stand....and walked over to where the buck was laying, 90-100 yds away in the timber.
But there was no buck. U could see where he had flopped and hit the ground, then scrambled up and hit the highway.
There was a very small amount of blood and that was that. No man's land is a real place.

You did not hit near or on the spinal cord, you did not drill the lungs, missed the liver and missed the kidneys. Pass through the lungs, drill the liver or smash a kidney and he does not survive the blood loss. Just above or just below the spinal cord and DRT. in a PRS match you ring the steel and get the points, in the field on game and it's a wounded animal that wanders off and dies, get eaten or manages to survive. Start stretching shots past 450 yards and all sorts of factors compound to foil a one shot clean kill. Not like at the 1000 yard F Class line where nice and prone with dead on rifle in rest with sighters and he ability to adjust and keep shots on the 10X.

Try a couple of shoots into something that the bullets can be recovered .My guess is the bullet n=did not expand . I once lost a big buck that i hit in the rib cage and one should have broken his spine with A 30-06 using reloads ; Loads were accurate and worked fine in my buddies dad 30=06 . A missed this same buck said both shots were perfect The next summer i shoot a coon 3 times at 50 yards and did not kill it. BULLETS WERE NOT EPANDING.

You hit him in what is called no man's land above the lungs there is no vitals you basically poked a hole through and through bullet didn't expand he may or may not survive I'm sure this happens with bow hunters more than rifle hunters
I had the same hit on a elk in no mans land with a 300 ultra mag tracked it approx 10 miles no recovery found it alive 2 months later it lived

You hit him in what is called no man's land above the lungs there is no vitals you basically poked a hole through and through bullet didn't expand he may or may not survive I'm sure this happens with bow hunters more than rifle hunters
Ding ding ding. Exactly what I saw happen and yes it happens more frequently with bow hunters due to lack of hydrostatic shock. Behind both lungs, under the spine and possibly not even in the guts. He might even be around next year for round 2! I suggest more firepower ;)

Yep said that from the beginning posts.
Could have just touched the back of the goat or:
That bullet mass traveling at the velocity could actually 'Suck" the hair and skin off when it passed. The bullet didn't need to hit as long as it was close enough. I saw a vide of a person shooting a 50BMG culling does. He shot and completely missed the does head, but the bullet mass+ velocity created a vacuum and "Sucked" the eyeballs out of the does head as it passed.
I sent you a PM but havent heard so I figure it didnt get there.....or are you not checking the mailbox....LOL

I. Shot. And. Hit an. Antelope 4 times with. My. 270. Weatherby. Mag ! Using the.once . Popular 150 Grn. Speer. Grand slams back in 1980 ! 225 to 230. Yards ! 4. Bullet. Holes through the. Rib cage ! 4Exit. Holes through. The. Ribs on the. Opposite side! This was my first antelope /mule. Deer. Hunt ! And the rifle was. Loaded. For. Mule. Deer ! Huge. Mistake. On. My. Part ! Tough. Heavy heavy bullets do. Not. Expand and. Destroy the. Organs as. I. Prefer!! Lesson learned early on! I have Never. Again. Shot Light. Thin skinned . Game. With heavy tough Bullets ! Including whitetail deer !! Weather. Using a. 270. Win or a 270. Weatherby mag, I. Use 130 Grn ballistic tips on Deer . Yes. I. Stay off the shoulder,and. No. Exit holes , no. Tracking , no. Bullet left to. Recover !! This. Concept Has. Worked very well For. Me ! You may wish to consider it!

View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

I have attached a link to a video as well as a screenshot of the impact frame.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would like to know where I went wrong.

Neat seeing the vapor trail and bullet impact! It looks too high to me? Above the spine hitting nothing vital would be my guess. Antelope are not very tough. The few I have shot went down fast.

View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

I have attached a link to a video as well as a screenshot of the impact frame.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would like to know where I went wrong.